Chapter Seven

With all these thoughts swarming my head, I pull up to the clinic and park my car in my spot. 

"Jessica, I got your club salad with extra eggs and French dressing." Jessica is our potty training our newest recruit.  name is Spencer and he is a one-year-old, German Shepherd Husky mix. If all goes well, I am hoping to adopt him. I need a new friend and he is just my type. Before he was here he was abandoned and when we got him, he was mostly bone and we didn't think he would make it through the night. But this handsome baby boy is a fighter. Quite literally, he picks fights all the time with other dogs. Which is a habit we are trying to fix.

I enter the building and there is no one at the moment in the waiting area. Which means we are getting everyone through in time. I bring the lunches to the break room. I eat my smoothie bowl and duck out of the area. I head to the area where we keep all the sick dogs, cats, and more after surgery or while they are recovering from something. I check all their water bowls. I make sure they all have had their meds. I then check on Bruce Willis the cat's paw, he just got amputated. I change the bandage and notice it is healing up nicely. I go to my desk upfront and spend the next six hours at the desk, only getting up once to use the bathroom and a few times to print things.

I spent time giving them their meds today since I brought lunch. I get puppy duty. Which is all of our favorite things to do here. We get a lot of puppy love. Which is worth the cost of lunch. Especially, when it is on the company card. We all chip in and over the years the girls have racked up seven thousand dollars to spend on just lunches. That money is also used to benefit our coffee area and snacks. Keurig is love, Keurig is life, that is our motto, the account has been open since this place opened when our boss's parents owned it. Everyone chips in and instead of birthday presents and other gifts we just put more money in the account. We only order out on very busy scheduled days, so we don't have to pack lunches and we can sleep in longer.

"Does anyone want a cup of coffee?" I shout out to my friends because we are open until nine PM on weekdays and we close at four PM on the weekends. Eleven-hour shift on a Monday. My best work friend is Camilla, she works right next to me and she deals with company email, supplies and paperwork. While I smile and schedule people most of the day. I also get them signed in and charge late fees. If they are late, it's a twenty-dollar fee.  If you are going to waste our time, then we take some compensation.

"Yeah, Alicia I would adore a cup of coffee." Camilla is in her late thirties, I am the youngest here at the office. She has bright red hair that is always in a bun. She has gorgeous green eyes and freckles scattered all across her face. My grandma used to call them sun kisses. She has a curvy figure and I wish I had at least one size up when it comes to my bra size.

"Stevia? What creamer and syrup tonight?" I ask, standing up and stretching. Cracking a few bones in the process.

"Marshmallow, and I want the chocolate pebbles creamer. I have some graham crackers in my desk drawer. It will taste like s'mores. " She opens up her desk which should be full of supplies, but instead it is full of snacks, so she doesn't have to get up as much.

I go into the break room and make two cups. While I am there making coffee, my boss walks in.

"I saw Thema's post, you two looked so cute last night, who was tall, dark, and handsome?" She interrupts me as I hit the different settings and grab the k-cups.

"Just a guy I met at the bar. No big deal." My shoulders come up and I shove it off because it was really no big deal. I can't believe Thema would post a random picture of me with a stranger. I take my hair down and move it over to one side. Then I use my elbows to turn on the sink, she is standing next to. Walking back over to the coffee machine to press the foam button on the first cup.