Chapter Eighteen

My head slams on the ground and I go to stand up and there is a ringing in my ears. A lot of people are on the ground, some not responding due to parts of the building stuck inside them. Thomas, oh no!

I rush over to him; a metal rod is in his chest. Thema notices and comes over. Currently my ears are ringing, and I can't hear what she is saying. But I put pressure on the wound as the lights came rushing into the lot. I did this, I could have said yes, and this wouldn't be happening. Snap out of it, I tell myself.

It is not my fault. I do not control other actions. My head starts spinning and I am out cold. I lay on the ground surrounded by the blood of Thomas unable to move. I look back at the bar building. Its fire I see, though the hot tear-drop dances yellow and orange in the August breeze, The flames that consumed demanded everything become ashes. The building isn't a building anymore, it is fattened in the distance. The fire roars and I am taken aback by the sight.

Sharp pain is noticeable in my arm immediately. That is when I turn to see it. A chair leg in my shoulder. Is this how I am going to die? I can't yank it out, it isn't all the way through. I have seen what happens when people rush to get things out. Not going to risk it, I need this arm. I keep pressure on his wound for as long as I can. Lights dance in the distance and Thema takes over. Falling back onto the hot cement I lay not able to get up.

I lay soaked from the sprayers; the sky is orange and there is smoke all over the place. No sounds, I cannot speak. Just lying there waiting for someone to pick up and save me. What seems like a few minutes pass and then someone, I can't see their face, my vision is blurry. They pick me up and carry me onto what feels like a board. A loud ringing fills my ears and my hearing rushes back.

"Her heart rate is elevated, check her blood pressure." A man says as something is wrapped around my good arm and it starts squeezing.

"Yes, let's get her to the hospital quickly." They stick a mask on my face and fresh oxygen fills my nostrils making me close my eyes to focus on my breathing. I take calming breaths as I can somewhat feel the ambulance in motion. My arm feels like hell, wishing the pain away doesn't work. They are trying their best to keep me awake and responsive but honestly, it is taking everything I have got to do so. My head is throbbing, and my arm is covered in blood. I can feel it dripping down my arm. It's not a pleasant feeling. Drifting off into the white abyss is all I can do.