Chapter Nine

I wake up early to get ready for the day. My mom lives an hour away so I have a long drive ahead of me. All my traditional clothes are at my mama's house. I keep them there so I don't ruin them. I kind of hate wearing them because they are uncomfortable, I like avoiding them. They are also nearly impossible to wash. 

I do my makeup, I put on red lipstick and lots of concealers thanks to the constant tossing and turning that happened last night when I attempted to sleep. I then swipe on some mascara, attempting to give my long lashes more volume.

I want to personally thank Blade for the sunflowers, texts don't do it justice for me. He sent a gift so I will send one over whenever I can. I walk over to his house And ring the doorbell. It takes about a minute before someone opens the door. I turn to leave and walk out my door.

"Hey, I am Erika. Are you looking for Blade?" I nod my head ready to go home. He already has another girl over. A very tall blond one, with blue eyes. She is at least a half-foot taller than me and isn't even wearing heels. It's not like we are or ever talked about being exclusive, it was one night. I have to figure out how to get away. I am somewhat dressed up. Maybe I can claim to be a witness for Jehovah....or ask her about her car's extended warranty. I could try and sell something, but I don't have anything on me at the moment.

"Sugar, can I borrow some sugar?" I ask, is that the only thing I can come up with? I just know I look dumb. 

"Sure, give me one second, how much do you need?" she asks.

"Just a few spoonfuls, for my coffee," I say, wanting to get away. "But you know what? I am about to go out. I shouldn't have bothered you. I am so sorry, I hope you have a nice day." I explain to her with a coy smile. Maybe I just ran into his sister, she looks pretty similar to the girl who usually comes around, I think to myself, convincing myself it isn't another woman. She goes to shut the door and says, "No problem, Blade is in the shower, he just got back from the gym." 

My mind wanders to thinking about him in the shower as I walk away. I trip and almost fall, thankfully I catch myself in time.

I walk inside my house and I make a quick drink in a reusable water bottle to bring with me to the party. I also have a tray of avocado dip and chips that I had delivered here early this morning. I put it in a freezer bag with some ice packs. 

I ran to my car ready to drive home and see my family. Embarrassed by my actions, I try my best to keep it together. But I debate whether I want to drive or not. The best type of car ride is one where I am not driving. When I get to look out the window and allow my mind to paint over the vast expanse of the land around me. Boy, do I love the days where I can make up catchy song lyrics in my head, pretending that I can play an instrument, while the car speeds along the highway at ten miles-per-hour over the speed limit.

Those are the days, hours, minutes, that I can devote myself to doing nothing, answering to nobody, and still see everything.

While sitting in my car I called an Uber. I do not want to deal with driving all by myself. I need an hour of that to clear my mind. My mama is going to question why I am in an Uber when I have my car.

Honestly, I don't care. I don't feel like driving, I miss looking at the world in the back seat.