Chapter 19 - I like that she's different

L O R E N Z O

Spending an evening with my mother in the balcony was not what I planned, honestly. But this was happening so I can't really stop it.

"Alright, here's what's going to happen." She says. "You're going to tell me everything, okay? I know nothing about you anymore."

"You should try being home more often, maybe it'll change."

I know I always act upset whenever I find out they're back home but it's because I am. Being home alone is everything.

I just like making them feel bad.

She sighs and looks at me, knowing I won't tell her anything. But then, she goes inside and comes back with two beers and a cigarette.

I raise my eyebrows in surprise.

"See? We're doing this." She says, opening the beers and handing me a cigarette.

We used to be in this exact balcony, eating chocolates while playing board games while I told her everything about my life. Now I'm drinking beer and smoking with her.

I light both of our cigarettes. "What do you want to know?"

"School. How's that going?"

I sigh. "I don't even go anymore, ma."

"I know." She nods. "Your principle called me. Listen to me, Lorenzo, you need to go to school okay?"

"What's the point? I'm going to graduate and take over the company." I say.

"Exactly, you need to graduate.  That won't happen with 60 absences."

I sigh. "School's too boring."

"That's not an excuse. You're going to start attending, okay? Your principle and I both agreed on getting you a tutor."

I huff in annoyance. "Seriously?"

"Enough about school, when are you going to get a girlfriend?"

"Probably never." I say.

"Come on, caro. There's someone for everyone."

"I like where I am right now." I say.

"Tell me honestly. What do you think about Juliette?"

I groan. "Ma, why her?"

"You've never brought a girl to the house, Lorenzo. Not even Eleanor or Aarushi. I've seen the way you look at her, there's something there."

"There isn't-"

"Dont lie to me, don't deny it. I'm your mother, I realise things before you do. Tell me honestly, do you feel something about her? Even if its just a little."

I take a second before responding.

"She's really pretty." I start. "I don't think pretty is enough. It's like dad used to describe you when we kids. Ravishing, enchanting." I say. "All that bullshit."

"And she's the only girl who hasn't flirted with me. She's the only girl who doesn't act all in love with me." I say. "I like that. I like that she's different."