Introduction

Lightning streaked across the sky, its forked form illuminating the storm filled sky. The sudden downpour of rain shifted the mood of what was once a calm sunny day into a miserable wet one. The loud vibrations of the dropship drowned out the booming rumbles of the storm.

Angela 'Mercy' Ziegler gazed out of the window, a concerned expression adorned on her face. However, there wasn't much to see due to the storm that surrounded them.

"Lena," she spoke worriedly. "Are you certain that flying through this sort of weather is a good idea? One strike of lightning and... well, not all of us can fly."

The pilot in question laughed in response, flicking a few overhead switches before blinking across the ship, placing her hands on her hips as she joined the doctor in looking outside.

"Not to worry, doc. The shield generator to guard us from the storm still works from the good ol' days!" She cheered in her iconic giddy tone.

"You mean... we haven't changed or updated a shield generator in the five years we've been disbanded? More so... we haven't used it in five years." Mercy folded her arms, looking down at the woman with a raised eyebrow. "How are we sure that it even works?"

Lena looked up at her, raising a finger as she went to respond. Her efforts were interrupted by a low chuckle, a towering figure stood over the medic from behind. The two noticed the shadow, both turning around to face who it belonged to.

"Not to worry, Doctor Ziegler. Despite us being separated for years, I ensured that all of the important technology was maintained to the best of my ability." Winston smiled, inevitably forcing Lena to also smile. Though Mercy shot him a sympathetic look, knowing that he would have been working on something, anything to keep his genius mind occupied during his years of isolation.

"Then I suppose we have nothing to worry about." Mercy responded as she redirected her sight to outside, her arms slowly unfolding as the doctor's focus centred itself on the storm outside.

"Of course! And by my calculations, we should be exiting the storm any moment now! See? A nice safe flight where the shield's resilience wasn't even te-"

His sentence was cut off as lightning struck the ship, the lights inside flickering as a loud whirring sound was heard from above them.

"...Tested."

The group looked up at the ceiling as the lights flickered back to normality, a look among the three was shared before Lena and Winston burst into laughter, an exasperated sigh leaving Mercy's lips as she lowered herself into her seat whilst immediately strapping her seatbelt on. "I don't remember these missions having such stressful introductions..."

A groan came from the other side of the ship, an exhausted Cassidy removing his hat from his face as he sat up properly.

"Or being so loud..." his thick western accent cut through the air like a knife, "are we there yet? It feels like we've been in the air forever."

Tracer rolled her eyes as she blinked back up the cockpit, Winston turning around to face the cowboy. "We will be arriving momentarily, once we're there, then we can swiftly perform our mission and be gone again."

Cassidy stood up, stretching with a groan before placing his hat firmly back on his head. "Right, right... just... maybe run everyone through it one more time? It's been a while since the doc has been in the field, she's probably forgotten a few details."

Mercy rolled her eyes once again, a smile on her face as she looked at him in amusement.

"Ah, I see, very well then. Our objective is to travel to King's Row and investigate some suspicious activity. Going off of a tip that we received from a trusted source, there is reason to believe that null sector may be secretly operating in one of the abandoned subway stations below an old row of warehouses."