Chapter Six: Initiation

You stood in the middle of the arena, tightening the chain around your arm, but leaving just enough room for it to move about comfortably. You rolled your shoulders and kicked your feet, trying to warm up your body as your mind focused. Against the trial of Overwatch, it stood to be you, your kunai, and your lightning. A replacement rifle had been offered to you, but you refused to take it, insisting that a new rifle would only get in the way. The commander seemed displeased by your words when you spoke them to Winston, though that was no doubt going to be a conversation for later on. Though you had accepted the replacement tactical gear that was handed to you, it was all black, just to your liking.

Because any other colour is just wrong.

"Y/N, Wanderer. The trial for your initiation shall begin in ten seconds. Good luck, and don't lose!" The voice of Winston boomed over the intercom, forcing you to stand up right as you gripped your kunai tightly in your hand. You let out a deep exhale as you steadied your breathing, getting yourself completely in the zone for whatever awaited you next.

There was nothing that could throw you off now.

"Oh, I forgot to mention. Everyone will be watching from the lounge, so no pressure!" Winston added as your posture loosened, your sight looking up at the intercom hanging from the ceiling.

"Wait, wha-" You didn't even have time to question it.

"Begin!"

The room flashed a bright red with a blaring alarm overhead, shimmers of blue formed into null sector bots. Their armour was pure white, an orange cyclops like visor on each of them, a wide horizontal wrist launcher that flickered with orange lights. You immediately recognised them as the units that had been deployed in Paris, the attack that showed the world that there was a greater threat on the horizon.

But an attack that showed them that Overwatch was back.

Your kunai dropped as you held the chain, slowly spinning it as sparks of lightning slowly crackled around your body. Looking across, you quickly counted out that there were 23 of them. You spun the chain faster, the lightning crackling louder as you felt the energy slowly build up. Simultaneously, their visors flashed brightly, the targets raising their weapons as purple bolts flew towards you. You dashed forwards, the augments firing up as you flung the kunai forwards and pierced the visor of the first one, tugging it back as the head flew with it. Spinning around, you used the still attached head like a mace as you drove it through multiple assailants on your right. The sound of metal crashing echoed through the room, the noise of plasma cutting through the air forced you to be on alert constantly as you dashed behind a large wall.

Now in cover, you drew the kunai back, removing the head before forcing volts into the cranium. It flickered and buzzed loudly, sparking from the amount of power flowing through it. With a smirk, you zoomed back out of cover and spotted a group of null sector troops, reeling your hand back and launching the head straight at them with a loud grunt of effort. It made contact with the ground and exploded, chaining lightning to the combatants near it as you caused a chain reaction which overloaded your opponents. You watched them implode as lightning fizzled out into the air, your victory was short lived as a bolt hit the floor just in front of you, getting back into the fight as you pushed forwards again.

You continued to dispatch the enemies that stood before you, your kunai flying with incredible precision to each target. You dodged a swipe from one omnic before stabbing it with your kunai, rolling it over it whilst grabbing onto it, launching it towards a sniper on the high ground with a loud grunt before the two collider. One after another, they fell like towers of cards, the surge of lightning flowing through you making you a blur on the battlefield.