Chapter Nine: The First Mission

A wave of lightning surged out of your kunai as it struck the turret in front of you, volts flowing through it as the device imploded, sending shrapnel everywhere as it collided with surrounding null sector units. The chunks of metal and circuitry tore through them like wild animals, separating bolt from bolt, their wires going up in flames almost immediately. You yanked your kunai back, narrowly dodging under it as the blade went through a frame that was on its way to flank you. Dragging the chain back, you swung it around as the blade cut through your enemies that surrounded you, the sweet sound of lightning crackling as you continued your relentless assault on the small null sector outpost.

Sprinting forwards, you leapt over the glowing blade of an omnic trooper and landed behind it, grabbing it and launching it forwards into a wall as it collided with another one of your aggressors. You dodged under a fist that slammed into a crate next to you, your kunai swiftly digging into the side of the machine before you dragged it downwards and out of the machine, immediately tossing your weapon to the side as it decapitated an ensuing attacker. Lightning surged around your legs as you dashed forwards, the kunai tearing out of the severed null sector unit's head and flying to your hand. You became a blur in the room, lightning sparking everywhere as your opponents fell one after the next, the floor scattered with corpses and limbs of those who dared to stand in your way.

You came to a screeching stop in front of a new group of enemies, you straightened your posture before kicking straight upwards, your foot knocking the gun straight out of the omnic's hand before you slammed it to the side with a lightning fused fist. In quick succession, you threw the kunai into another, pulling the chain forwards as hard as you could as it flew into another frame, shattering the two completely. Ducking down and dodging a series of plasma fire, you swept the legs of your aggressor before placing a hand on its chest, cartwheeling over it as you electrocuted it to death. You spun around and performed a spin kick which completely decapitated another one, throwing your kunai forwards as it penetrated the severed head, charging volts into it before you swung it into the final three, the head acting as an explosive mace as they exploded into a stunning blue.

You sighed as you rose up, standing straight as you spun your arm around, rechaining the kunai as you walked forwards. Your footsteps echoed through the now empty room, the only other audible sound was the sparking of the destroyed null sector units. You tapped the wrist console on your left arm, reenabling the shared mission voice channel.

"Winston, the perimeter is clear, awaiting further orders." You spoke into the piece before folding your arms and looking to the side, the clacking of footsteps arriving next to you. You turned your head spotting Illari by your side, her Solar rifle raised with light slowly fading from its centre.

"You know, with how acrobatic and flexible you are, I'm wondering why you didn't go for a spear or something like that as your weapon." She turned to face the destruction you had left in your path, scattered frames and limbs filling most of the floor. You shook your head.

"Too big, gets in the way, a pain to try and carry around. The chain gets things done faster." You replied simply, you felt the augments in your body completely power down as you let out a relaxed sigh. "I also couldn't think of a way to properly utilise my lightning into something like a spear. Everything ended up being too cumbersome."

Illari hummed and nodded, taking your answer for what it was before falling back into silence. You followed suit, not finding a reason to strike up another conversation in a place like this. The communication device crackled to life, the familiar voice of Winston echoing through again.

"Excellent work you two, we've been watching the security feed that Athena was able to hack. I knew pairing you two up together was a genius move, your teamwork has been phenomenal!" He praised over the comms, forcing a small chuckle out of you as you went to respond.