Chapter Four: Overwatch

In all your years, you had seen some pretty weird shit. Some cool, some traumatising, some strange, and some inexplicable.

But meeting a talking gorilla may just take the top spot.

"I... hi?" You greeted with a confused expression, your posture unchanging from your battle stance, unsure what to make of this situation. You recognised him, of course, who wouldn't?

Winston, the former scientist of Overwatch, hero of a bygone age who saved countless lives with his heroism. The only living being to have successfully stopped doomfist.

Was standing right in front of you.

Surrounded by slaughtered null sector soldiers.

"Did I pass out on the train?" You thought to yourself, though the profusely bleeding wound on your shoulder begged to differ.

"Salutations, Wanderer!" He greeted once more, still holding up the steel shutter door showing no effort of even being bothered by the weight of it. For his size and the reputation he held back in the day, he was surprisingly friendly. Not the sort of character that you had expected in the slightest from a genetically enhanced war veteran gorilla.

"You know me?" You questioned, though realising immediately afterwards that it was a stupid thing to ask considering you had made world headlines multiple times.

"Of course," he nodded. "It was my hypothesis that you would end up showing your masked face today, though I didn't expect to see you unmasked so soon. You look like you've seen... better days."

Throughout everything he said, one main thing stuck out to you more than anything.

You were maskless.

"Shit..." you muttered to yourself. "I've been so caught up in everything that I didn't even think to try and mask myself again. Damnit, that's going to be on every null sector database now, I don't even know how many cameras I've walked past at this point."

Your head began to throb, you dropped the kunai as it and the chain clattered against the floor, your right hand clutching it in pain. The adrenaline was all gone, leaving you with the broken body and deep wounds that you had. Everything felt light for a few moments, causing you to stumble backwards a little and sway on the spot.

Winston realised the severity of your situation, stepping out of the shutter door and dropping it behind him. A large hand came out to support you, holding you in place to ensure that you didn't topple over and cause yourself further harm.

"Take it easy, you've done a lot already. By all accounts, I'm surprised you haven't passed out already. But not to worry, we have a medic with us, and she can see to your wounds until we get back to Gibraltar." He spoke in a surprisingly soothing tone given how deep his voice was.

With each passing moment you felt your body get worse and worse. You hadn't taken your wounds seriously enough when they had happened, though what could you have done? It was a miracle that you were able to take on two assassin bots after dealing with what felt like a small invasion force, being tossed around by explosives and getting shot at. Adding stabs and cuts onto that as well?

It was divine intervention that allowed you to even make it this far.

"Gibraltar?... I-I..." You paused as you felt a strange sensation in your chest, as if your body was deliberately working against your wish to stay conscious. Your eyes struggled to stay open as you felt yourself going limp in Winston's hand, the scientist holding you carefully as he lowered you into your back and very gently applied the right amount of pressure onto your shoulder in an attempt to stop the bleeding.