Chapter Seven: Illari

Peace.

That's all you desired as you sat in the small locker room, having changed out of your tactical gear and back into the casual clothes that had been given to you.

Your gaze settled at your crimson coloured hand, slowly cleaning them with various disinfectant tools and sprays. The lightning scars burnt into your hand from the inside left a pattern trailing up your arm and onto your back. They never lasted for long, usually dissipating in a day or two.

But man, was it fucking irritating.

There was a reason you limited yourself, a reason you made do with the lower and more comfortable end of augmented power. The pain was unlike anything you had ever felt before, indescribable as you'd feel your body move and rework itself each time it was used. It was enough to drive you mad, feeling some days that it would be easier to drive a knife into your flesh and did them out. The temperature of which your lightning functioned was too high, singing and burning your body every single time the purple lightning was applied.

Without giving up your human body, true mastery over your lightning wasn't going to be achievable.

Overdrive was a last resort.

And that's the way you wanted to keep it.

Applying pressure to some of the wounds on your arms, you winced and hissed in pain, grunting in frustration from the stinging sensation that followed. Slowly but surely, you patched your body up with bandages and wipes.

You eventually finished by tightening the last bandage, standing up from the bench and looking in the mirror. Your arms and hands covered in bandages and band aids, the scars from your lightning visible around your neck and arms. You sighed, shaking your head before turning away in disappointment. It had only been a few hours ago that Angela had patched you up fully, and here you were, bloodied and bruised again.

The last thing you wanted to be seen as was a liability.

Though after such a devastating performance, could they really think of you as something like that?

Stepping towards the door, lost in thought, you opened it and went to step out. But the presence of someone in front of you forced you to hesitate, bringing your attention back as you looked down at this person. You could've sworn that you saw her hair glow for a second, her hand raised up to where the door was with a fist, clearly going to knock. Your eyes met, both instinctively looking the other over before back at each other. Awkwardly, she lowered her hand.

"Uh... hi," she greeted, a mixture of confusion swelled inside you as you hesitantly responded.

"...Hi." You responded before falling into silence, both of you standing there without saying a word for a few seconds, the awkwardness quickly forcing you to clear your throat and try to continue the conversation. Her brown and golden eyes staring at you put you a little on edge. "I... did you need to use the locker room or something? I was just on my way out."

She shook her head gently, a soft yet somewhat stern gaze locked onto you. "No, but I was in fact looking for you. I'm kind of surprised you were still in here." Her eyes swept past you as she leaned to the left and looked past you, something catching her attention. Confusedly, you turned as well, instantly spotting what had caught her eye.

Splatters and small puddles of blood scattered across the floor from where you were sat down on the bench tending to your wounds, a tinge of embarrassment tugging at your stomach as you turned back to her. "I was about to clean that up. I didn't really want to cause a scene, so I did everything in here."

A look of evidential disappointment shone in her eyes as she looked down at your bandaged hands and arms, a sigh left her as she seemingly studied over your body. You couldn't help but notice the augments she had herself, the golden rings in her eyes that greatly complimented her earrings. Her black and gold cloak highlighted her white, red, and blue outfit, her entire attire blending together beautifully regardless of the colours being so vastly different.