Chapter Twelve: Titan

A clock tower crumbled to the ground as a blaring alarm screamed through the streets. A series of micro missiles pursued a streak of lightning through the ruined area as they exploded one by one on nearby debris. Through the roads, up the buildings, they chased the lightning relentlessly and mercilessly. In the distance, spectacles of light burst brightly into the smoke filled sky as small drones were shot down one after another, exploding as they landed against the ground when they fell. Groups of civilians fled, families shielding their children as screams and flames filled the burning streets.

Everything felt catastrophic. In what felt like mere moments, a quiet and peaceful day had been completely ruined by a single threat. A threat that no one saw coming, no one had prepared for, and no one could stop. Flames rose from the broken buildings, terror laced the city as all anyone could hope to do in this situation was flee. The occasional explosion shook the ground which caused windows to shatter and buildings to quake, leaving the paths towards safety even more dangerous.

The world had been seeing more attacks as of recent, but to see a towering menace that was known for its ability to wipe out all life in a given area? It spelt the end for whatever was in its way.

A fleeing father hurried down a ruined pathway, his sobbing daughter cradled in his arms as he tried to make his way through the smoke filled area. Stumbling ever so slightly as his foot got caught on a fallen street light, he was able to maintain his balance as he continued to press forth. Everything he once knew had been turned upside down within the blink of an eye, his home that was once a safe haven was now nothing more than dust and broken bricks. He was lucky to escape, even luckier still that he had been able to save his child admits all the chaos. One foot in front of the other, each step was taken in a desperate attempt to save the life of his daughter. He had already attempted to contact his wife who worked in the upper city, but his phone wouldn't work, every signal immediately went to static.

It's as if something was deliberately blocking the signal.

A crumbling building blocked the path in front of him, a missile colliding with the base of a small hotel that blocked the street in an ear shattering boom. He stopped in his tracks and turned away slightly to stop the smoke and dust from reaching him and his child, though that didn't stop him coughing a few times. As he looked back, the way forwards was now completely impassable, forcing him to move back the way he came as the ground began to shake once again. Sparks of lightning crashed over the buildings as another explosion pierced the air, a dust cloud shooting up into the sky as golden rays of light pierced through the filth filled air.

"Papa!" The girl screamed over the noise, her sobs barely audible over the combat that was taking place. The father held her tighter, his own heart racing as his widened eyes looked around them.

"I'm here, papa is here. Everything will be alright!" He shouted over the ringing noise in his ears, slowly back peddling as he turned around. He had to find a new way out, failure would result in the death of both of them. He had to get her out, she had to survive, she HAD to live to see the sun rise again.

"I'm scared... I'm so scared. A-Are we going to-"

"NO!" Her father roared over the sound of another collapsing building, the booming of thunder shattering a set of shop windows as another loud boom followed afterwards. "We're going to make it out of this! I've got you!"

Another ear piercing explosion shook the ground, startling the temporarily distracted man as he stumbled on the spot. The mechanical roaring of the Titan heard over the crumbling houses, the humming sound of the Titan's main cannon sent the man's heart sinking into his chest. The same sound that was first heard as the first buildings fell, the same sound that had potentially killed many of the people in the lower city. A weapon that wrought havoc, a dust filled storm that followed afterwards, a crimson river that flowed in its wake. Just as he went to take a step, an orange ball of plasma shot over the buildings and decimated an apartment complex, a blinding explosion taking its place as chunks of the building flew off into the air. He staggered once more, losing his balance as he fell to his knees, his daughter cradled and screaming as his squinting eyes shot upwards towards the danger.