Chapter Five: A New Life

You sat in a small operation room with Angela, a spare shirt with an Overwatch logo on it sat next to you as you let the doctor run some tests and procedures on you. Having woken up a few hours ago, now fully healed, she insisted on performing a full medical checkup to ensure that everything had gone smoothly. Additionally, now stating that you were an official Overwatch agent, Doctor Ziegler stated that it was mandatory to create a medical profile for you.

"O...Kay then, everything is looking good so far!" She went behind you as her cold hands went onto your shoulders, causing you to jump slightly which forced a laugh from the doctor. "Oh, calm it down. My hands aren't even that cold!"

You shook your head, remaining seated on the operation table that you had been told to sit up on. "They feel pretty damn cold to me..."

"Oh hush, you big baby. I need to check for tension, your muscles may still be sore and in danger of tearing. After suffering from multiple wounds that seemingly tore apart your dominant muscles, it's incredibly important that we ensure that you make a full recovery before Winston or the commander put you up to any of their..." she sighed, "tests. Now, relax, I can't help if you're all tensed up."

You nodded as you slowly began to relax, allowing her to do what she needed to do. If she asked for something, you obliged, whether that was by tensing a muscle or moving your arm a certain way. It didn't really matter that much to you.

Your mind was still distracted.

In one day, you had gone from fighting alone and travelling the world to fight where you thought you were needed, having a name of your own given to you by those you protected and saved. To now being a part of an organisation who once saved the world from utter destruction.

Granted their forces are a mere fraction of what they used to be, but still.

"So," She began to speak again, "Winston tells me that you've decided to join us? I thought you were the lone wanderer type... pun entirely intended." Another giggle escaped her, a sound that forced even you to smile. You can remember reading about the heroes of Overwatch in school, distinctly remembering the soaring Valkyrie and the stories of miracles that followed wherever she went. She was just as kind as the books described her to be, her voice and laughs the equivalent of an angel's.

She truly was a beautiful person. Both physically and spiritually.

"I... must admit that this all has happened rather fast. But I feel like this is the right choice to make. Though working with others is something I'm not really... used to." You admitted as you kept following her instructions as you spoke, relaxing your shoulders again as you heard her write something down on a clipboard.

"You remind me very much of a very uh... good friend..." She paused and whispered something under her breath, though you were unable to make out what exactly it was that she said. "Genji had trouble with playing nice when he first got here, granted his conditions were vastly different compared to yours. My point is that just because we work well together now, doesn't mean we all did at the start. These are bonds forged through blood, sweat, and tears. You'll find your balance soon enough, Y/N."

You nodded slowly, a small smile forming from the doctor's words.

"You're too kind. Thank you, Doctor Ziegler."

She shook her head, lightly patting your shoulders from behind. "No, you're too kind. Now come on, we're done here."

You stood up before grabbing the shirt and putting it on, finding it to fit quite comfortably. You rolled your shoulders, a sigh of relief following as the aching pains that had been there were now absent. Doing some quick stretches, you'd find that every fault you had once had was now gone. You weren't a stranger to medical technology, but shabby black market tools only did so much work. You could thank such equipment for the countless scars across your body.