15. Ball

My eyes turn to the man. "How do I look?"

 "How do I look?"

"Breathtaking."

The guards barge into the chambers. "Shira and Sepher, the sovereign is requesting both of your presences in office 99 ." My eyes turn to Sepher. That was the first time, I heard his name. Why does it sound so familiar? "Both of us?"

The guard nods, and we heed after him. "Your majesty."

"Your majesty."

"Good, you're here.", the king says, then grasps my hand. "My love. I'm incapable of attending the ball with you."

So I can't go.

"Apologies, I know how much you've been looking forward to it. But perhaps Sepher could attend with you."

My eyes shift to him, my mouth curving. Wishing that he'd agree.

"Of course, anything for, his majesty."

My smile fades, the worst thing wasn't him declining the offer. It was that the only causality he accepted, was for his king. To satisfy him, and what makes the king satisfied, is when I'm satisfied. How foolish could my heart be to permit myself to think it was because of me?

"Marvelous.", the king sounds, in a cheery voice. The carriage horses let out a loud "neigh" sound, our eyes turning to the king. "Go along, have fun."

We flee the castle, onto the carriage. As we face each other in silence, with so much to say, until my mouth finally speaks. "If you didn't wish to come, all you had to do was say no."

"What did you wish I said?"

"I don't know b--"

"Because if I said, "When I see your betrothed, I wish she was holding my hand instead of yours. My mind wishes to learn more about her, without having to fret about whether people will talk. I'm enchanted by her, yet she isn't mine. Because that will surely go well, with his majesty."

Before my mouth could speak, the carriage opened, and we reached the ball.

Ball

We stride into the ballroom, as the music initiates

We stride into the ballroom, as the music initiates. My hands enfold around Sepher, and he grins. "I'm not precisely sure, how the king will deem about us dancing, primarily after what my mouth just disclosed."

"If he was anxious about us dancing, he shouldn't have endorsed you to attend a ball with me.", my mouth voice, causing Sepher to chuckle. The music alters, as he twirls me, and we exchange partners.

Sepher was dancing with a stunning blonde, and I was dancing with a dashing redhead. His penetrating brown eyes moved, as I did, my eyes scrutinizing his every step. The beat dropped, and the girls pivoted around their male partners, Sepher was next to me, his eyes observing. My mouth let out a soft breath, allowing my fingers to stretch, and lightly graze his before we fall back into the arms of our partners.

Spinning the partners further, as my body dips into the arms of Sepher. And there we were dancing, it didn't matter that I was to be queen, wedded to his leader, nor the fact, that he was the king's subject, and "friend". All that we valued in that moment, was how much we've been longing for this. This wasn't a part of the plan, nor did we care. I was rapt[lost] in the moment with him. As the tip of his nose grazed mine, all I had to do was lift my head just an inch to taste the lips, I'd been dreaming of. It was a choice, and no matter how much we wanted to make it. We didn't, especially not with the whole Astrea being there, but we did dance, and when we danced, it was as if no one was in the ball but us.