16. "Fulfill your mission or you die."

Spinning the partners further, as my body dips into the arms of Sepher. And there we were dancing, it didn't matter that I was to be queen, wedded to his leader, nor the fact, that he was the king's subject, and "friend". All that we valued in that moment, was how much we've been longing for this. This wasn't a part of the plan, nor did we care. I was rapt[lost] in the moment with him. As the tip of his nose grazed mine, all I had to do was lift my head just an inch to taste the lips, I'd been dreaming of. It was a choice, and no matter how much we wanted to make it. We didn't, especially not with the whole Astrea being there, but we did dance, and when we danced, it was as if no one was in the ball but us.

"Tell me about yourself.", Sepher asks. "Why?"

"I'd like to know who I'm guarding."

My mouth lets out, a sigh, my eyes reflecting toward the decorative ceiling. "My mother had me during a war,  a battle my father was combating. But he died, and she died presently. At least that's what my elders told  me."

"Elders?", Sepher questions, his eyes raising.

"They're my orphanage family, my whole world. They pushed me to court the king, and here we are. And they were the only people, I had besides my brot-"

My eyes glance down. I haven't openly talked about my brother to anyone. Everyone in the kingdom knows the story. An anecdote of "a queen who fought her blood to save the kingdom." Perhaps he just desires to hear the infamous story from the girl, herself, but I'm just not ready to tell it. Sepher places his hand on my cheek, softly stroking it, but my body quickly pulls back, remembering where we are. "You're likely going to hate me for this, but we should get going."

He grabs my hand, departs from the ball, and walks to the garden. "How could I ever hate you?"

My eyes ricochet down, nervously fluttering my hands, and then they gradually pivot back to his shining brown eyes, as he gazes back into mine.

The best feeling is when you look at him and he's already staring.

"Why are you so eager to marry the king?

"We're merely courting."

Sepher raises his eyebrow, a smirk appearing on his lips. "Pardon? I understand I've been gone a while, but doesn't courting lead to marriage —- and many, many, royal heirs"

"Many", he repeats, as I let out a flimsy scoff. "My elders presumes marrying the king will provide stability. I'll be a queen and not a peasant, so that's what's most important to them."

"Do you want to be queen?"

I don't know.

My mouth lets out a slim laugh. "You're the first person, who's asked me that."

"I don't know. All of this is awful, really. My brother set war on Astrea because he was envious that the throne was presented to me, and all this time I haven't even chosen whether I wanted it. But now it's too late."

Sepher seized my hand, and at this moment, I didn't push away. "I didn't have parents either, instead my life was carried with fairies. They brought me to the Realm of Caera and taught me magic. They're my "elders". "

"We're more alike than you'd think, princess."

"Why princess? I'm soon to be queen."

"But you aren't the queen."

Sepher snickered, then grabbed my hand. "Come with me."

He brings me to Evermore. "What are we doing?"

"Trust me."

"Sepher ?"

"Kaze Mahō"

He starts floating, as his body disappears up into the clouds. "Use your magic."

"Kaze Mahō?"

After my mouth sounds the words, my body starts floating as well. "See."

Minokawas, zizs, and thunderbirds start flying next to us... Oh My God. Did I do that?

My body lowers heretofore the base, as I discover Sepher gazing at them in amazement, then back at me with a smile. "Perfect."

• Later

Seizing the golden arrow, my hands tug on the string, my eyes narrowing on the yellow dot before the sound of chatter alarms me.  My gaze fixates on the king and—- Sepher. What is his majesty doing here, especially with him?

• Third Person Pov

The king's eyes turn towards his betrothed. "Isn't she magnificent?"

Sepher's gaze fixated on Shira, as she plucked on the string, her eyes penetrating onto the dot.

"Yes. Indeed, she is."

Abruptly a deafening explosion draws them from their chat.

• Shira

The bow explodes sinking the floor, red flaming burns emerging on my hands. Goodness Sake!

My eyes circle, overseeing as their gaze hinges towards me. "Darling, so good to see you. Sepher and I were just on a stroll."

Sepher?

A soft gasp falls from my mouth, it was the moment I remembered.

"The man's name is Sepher, he is a young wizard, about your age. And he is a royal wizard, a part of your court. Remember, you don't need to perform the act of slaying him to save yourself, merely convince someone else of his treason.  Fulfill your mission or you die."

He's the man I must kill to save myself

Not him, anyone but him. 

I thrust my legs outlying away from them both, but my leg trips off a log, as my body tumbles to the ground. My head hits the floor. Boom... 

Sepher and the king help me up, my eyes looking at the floor. There must be another way. He cannot die at my hand. Please, my dear angels, let there be another way.

"Are you alright?"

My eyes divert to Sepher, meeting his brown eyes, and his flawless glowing skin. As one loc of hair falls out of place yet fits so faultlessly. Why would the angels want such a beautiful soul to perish? My eyes encounter the arrow, on the floor, as the weapon glides before me. But even with the weapon so close, and him so vulnerable, I couldn't bring myself to harm him.

"Darling, everything will be okay.", the king says, in a breathless tone, or perhaps my ears heard him as a shadow, as my eyes were solely fixed on Sepher, as he presented me with a nervous smile. "Fulfill your mission or you die."

To Be Continued...