14. Letter(?)

Jungkook was silent, too silent...

Taehyung was reading some urgent files provided to him. Both of them were sitting in the dining hall waiting for breakfast to be served. Taehyung would occasionally take a quick peek at the male sitting on the chair to his right, and his mind couldn't seem to overlook the agitation floating silently on his countenance. Earlier, when he had asked Jungkook the reason behind his sudden outburst, the latter had dismissed his question by raising another instead.

"Have I, not enough reasons to cry, like I have not been kidnapped and taken advantage of?"

Well, if Taehyung was someone else and not a man who had been dealing with thugs and criminals for so long, then he would have certainly pitied the poor boy and would have even said a comforting word or two. But he was skilled at physiognomy that he could see right through the other person's truths and lies, and as far as Jungkook was concerned, he was hiding something.

Taehyung slapped the file harshly on the table. Jungkook, who was so consumed in his thought, jerked in his seat, and the other maid present in the room stood up from her chair
They both looked at Kim, who was staring back at Jungkook with a pissed-off expression.

"Can you check the upon breakfast?" Kim said, momentarily breaking the eye contact with Jungkook to look at the maid.

' No, please don't...' Jungkook thought as he could very well see the displeased look on Kim's face.
'Now, did I breathe too loud?'

The maid took this as her cue to leave the room as soon as possible.

Jungkook shifted uncomfortably on his seat as he could feel the burning gaze of the other on his skin.
'Shit- is he angry because I was tapping my feet??'

" What's your name?"

'Oh my lord and savior, Jesus Christ- wait.' "WHAT?" Jungkook looked up to check if the other male just snorted drugs or something, but to his surprise, he looked really serious.

"Pardon?" Jungkook thought he heard it wrong, although it was not possible not to hear clearly in such a silent room except for slow music playing in the background.

" I hate repeating my words, but let me rephrase my question. What's your full name?" Kim asked again. The frown on his face was replaced by a familiar stony expression. Jungkook hated that countenance because it made him feel like he was standing at the edge of a cliff. One wrong move, and he's as good as dead.

"I-I don't have a surname. It's just Jungkook."

"And why is that so?" Kim asked, slightly tilting his head.

"I am an o-orphan," Jungkook gulped as he lowered his head. He noticed his reflection on the shining white plate kept before him.
"You said you knew about me already. So why?" Jungkook muttered out.

" What was the name of your orphanage?" Kim casually ignored Jungkook's question and proceeded with his next question.

Jungkook was not surprised but felt sour, "Evelyn's Little Flower Orphanage."

"I see," Kim tapped on the tabletop, trying to copy the beats of the music playing in the background. Jungkook concentrated on those fingers as his thoughts went back to last night when he felt the magic of those long, slender fingers.

" And, why did you become a police officer, Jungkook?" Kim asked another question, and Jungkook felt like slapping himself for ogling his fingers.

"Y-Yes I-I became officer b-because..." Jungkook needed a moment to collect his sanity.

Kim raised his eyebrow when he noticed the strange behavior of Jungkook, "What happened?" He inquired.

"Nothing!" Jungkook gulped down the water from the glass placed beside the plate.
" I mean, we are not that close for sharing that information..." Jungkook spoke as he collected himself.