chapter seventeen | i know places

Choosing to ignore the last statement, I grab Indie's hand and lead her away from the curse of the former girlfriend. I know that we had a bad breakup, but I was in no way prepared to have to face her and the complicated history that came along with her today. Who even invited her? Of course, everyone in the whole entire town was invited to come and she obviously lives in town, but still. I don't even know why I bother to ask myself these questions, if I already know the answer to them.

Once we get far enough place away from Rachel Beau, Indie gives me a crazed look with her left eyebrow raised. "Well, she was quite the interesting person. When I said that I wanted to meet more people you know, I didn't realize that your old girlfriends were on the list."

"I didn't either." I know that I should have probably expected that I would run into Rachel or someone similar to her, but the thought literally didn't even cross my mind. Franklin is a small town and this isn't a big backyard, so the chances of running into another one of my exes is fairly big. Mama may have been right, when she told me that I've dated far too many people in the past four years.

I'll just have to keep the two of us busy in the mean time.

"I think that we still have a bunch of time to spare until Mama comes back from wherever she is, which means that cake won't be cut for a while. You can take your pick at what you want to do, as Miss Mariam made sure that you had a lot to do and that no one would get bored. Although that cranky old lady did say that we sadly aren't allowed to go on the bouncy house, as we're too old and too tall. Apparently those were designed for three foot kids, not eighteen year olds that are five eight and a newly nineteen year old who's five ten. Who would have guessed?"

"Not me, that's for sure." Indie laughs, the crisp sound reaching my ears clear against the loud background noise of the guests and has just the right amount of innocent to make me feel like I'm an insanely young again. God, I really love being around this girl. I've forgot how everything just feels so right when I'm around her, so I don't have to pretend that everything is perfect because it is. Indie is perfect.

Not in the traditional sense, no. But in the way that being perfect matters, Indie is just that. There isn't a right way to describe it, as words are useless things when my feelings are this strong. Maybe there just isn't a word in the English language to describe her or our relationship or how I feel when I'm with her.

"No, but literally just take your pick at what you want to do here. I'm going to die if I have to stand around for another second and potentially meet another one of my exes. I'll go down faster than the Titanic, Indie, and do you really want that to happen?"

"No," she concludes with a smile. "God, I have no idea what I want to do. I'm too indecisive for this kind of thing and you know it. Since it's my day and all, I shouldn't be having to make such big decisions like this and stuff. Ugh, I don't know."

"Indira, you just turned nineteen years old; I think that you can handling picking what activity you want to do for five minutes. You can always go back on your decision later and we can do something else. Just pick something to start with. Deal?"

Indie lets out a loud groan, followed by an extended sigh that I try not to laugh at. "But I just want to be five years old. Can't I go back to kindergarten, so that my mom can do everything for me and I won't have to make any decisions at all. Is that too much to ask for?"

I answer her without skipping a beat. "Yes. Now pick something random for us to do before I get wrinkles and a head of gray hair to match. At this rate, I'll be a thousand years older than eighteen by the time you actually make a choice and then it'll be too late. So go on and pick already, slowpoke."