chapter six | innocent

chapter six | innocent 

Indie studies the empty parking lot with wide eyes, as I drive through it. She doesn't speak to me, but not  in an awkward way like things previously turned out. She's way too much in awe of the whole evening to do such a trivial thing like speak to me. It isn't like she's this excited for some boring old parking lot full of trash and asphalt that's seen better days, oh no; Indie is bouncing in her seat because she can see the lake that's in the horizon.  

        She said the other day that she's never been on a boat, so I thought that bringing her here would be perfect. I'm not going to teach her how to drive a boat because it's almost nighttime and I'm not crazy enough to let a first time driver drive around in the dark. I'd rather not die tonight. I swear that I've thought roughly abouut a million times tonight about how we're going to die if I did something stupid - one wrong flick of the wrist or too much rage and we'll be dead before we can even process what happened. Man, I'm romantic.  

        I pull into the space closest to the dock, but its still a few minutes walk away from it. I'm glad that I have my boat already hooked up to the dock, or this whole thing would take so much longer than I have the patients for. Indie and I are both a bit too eager to get on the boat. 

        The two of get out of the car and head in the direction to the dock, a nervous and excited energy filling up the air around us like fog. Tonight will be a night of firsts for the both of us, as she's never been on a boat and I've never taken someone on the boat with me. I hope that dining under the stars in the water is a good date idea because it seemed like it was when I watched Tangled the other night when it was on the TV and couldn't help but fall in love with the whole scene. I may not have all the lanterns that were drawn in the movie, but something tells me that we'll manage just fine.  

        "This is so exciting, oh my God." Indie squeals, when we're halfway to the boat and can start to see the outline it leaves against the light sky.  

         "It'll be so much fun out there with you." I can't help but squeal right back to her, her enthusiasm becoming as contagious as a yawn. This very well might be the best night of my life, as it's already had a pretty rad start and it's only going to grow from here. Indie is wonderful to be around and my boat is probably the best thing to ever be made, so I think that it all will mix amazingly together to create a night of epic proportions. Even if it doesn't, I still have some amazing fish to eat. 

        "Right back at you, Nel." Her face looks so relaxed right now, as if she's content to be walking down the dirt path with me. She's such a pretty girl and something about the evening light only highlights this fact. I could stare at her for a million years and I still would find something new to love. I don't know what the new feature will be by the end of the night, but I can tell you right now that the best thing on her face is her lips. Those soft, lip glossed, and dangerous puckered lips of hers. God. 

        She catches me looking at her and smiles at me in a way that I wish I could replay forever in my mind. 

        The insides of my body grows warmer without seconds of Indie's smile, making my head think all those mushy thoughts that make me feel like I'm six years old again and sending the chessiest Valentine cards that the girl who sit infront of me with pigtails has ever seen. I sure would like to spend all the time in the world with Indie, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to make me want to skip through a meadow with her on my arm, belting out pop songs faster than I could even breathe. My head shouldn't be feeling so slow, like the whole world is in slow motion and all I can think of is Indie and those goddamn lips. I've only known her for a few days, for God's sake; I shouldn't be feeling like this.