chapter twenty two | beautiful eyes

There's something about drinking way too much coffee that makes the world seem better than it actually is.

It probably wasn't a good idea for the two of us to order so much rounds of coffee, but there isn't any way to take any of it back now and there isn't any reason to stay hung up about the whole thing. I've never drank so much of it in such a short amount of time before and it's honestly a life changing moment. Indie may be great, but I'm pretty sure that coffee is the real love of my life and I'd gladly spend the rest of my life enjoying the sweet taste of a giant cup of it.

Drinking an excessive amount of coffee has never had the same effect on me that it's had on the people around me, which I've learned not to question; instead of making me feel more alert and awake, all coffee does is make me want to sleep for a couple of lifetimes. On the plus side of things, I've had to experience the dreadful crash that others are always complaining about and the only crash that's ever happened is the literal crash of me falling right asleep.

After we ordered several handful of black coffee and a few packages of brownies, we decided that we would go back to my car and hang low for a while. We could have drove back home or drove to some other place to hang out in for a few more hours, but that would have required work and none of us are about to do any of that anytime in the near future. The first few sips of it kicked in pretty soon and we cranked the seats as far down as they can go, laying side by side in the stale air with nothing more but each other on our minds.

"We should have done this a while ago, Nel." Indie tells me in an odd sort of voice, hyperactive in pitch and it makes it seem like she's about to run a marathon in any given second. All the caffeine from the coffee must have hit her the way that it does to normal people and it hit bad. I don't think I've ever seen some bounce that much while staying still. God, her crash is going to be terrible.

I slowly nod my head in agreement, even though she can't see me from her position on the seat. "It was a good idea to do this, yeah. I'm so glad that you wanted to go get some coffee and then were so indecisive about what you wanted to drink, so we ordered a whole bunch of stuff. Maybe we should make this a monthly thing, Indie."

"Or a weekly thing," she adds in.

"That could work too." The one thing that isn't working out so much right now is the spinning in my head. It's only been a few minutes since I finished a cup of coffee, so this isn't the start of a caffeine crash and only means that I'm going to pass out sometime soon. If I pass out and Indie crashes soon enough, how are we going to drive ourselves back to town?

I try my best to curl up in a ball, but no matter what I do my feet hang off of the edge and I just can't risk losing my poor toes to the mystery that is the bottom of my nasty car. They should really make the seats of cars wider from now on, just in case the people who are sitting on them are able to comfortably sit in a ball and drift asleep.

I find a position that's the closest to being in a ball and I can't help but allow my eyes to rest for a few seconds of peace. For the first time in what feels like forever, the annoying sound of the outside world doesn't bother me and I can become a deep sleeper. Normally the sound of the cars passing ours in the distance and Indie making a ruckus by constantly moving around in her seat is much worse than the sound that I can hear from my bedroom, but it's still basically the same thing in a weird way.

Just as I'm about to count the first lot of sheep and my breathing takes a dip, Indie has to break the moment by jumping straight up in the air like she can touch the sky. "I think that I need one or two more cups of coffee. Or three. Or ten."