chapter eight | mean

chapter eight | mean 

"Where in the living Hell were you last night?" 

        Shit. I slowly turn my back and face Mama, who looks like she's ready to chew me a new one. Even at thirty eight, a glare from her cuts me deeper than any knife ever could ever. I guess she isn't too happy about the fact that I came home so late. I may have gotten my light brown eyes and dark hair from her, but none of her features will take mercy on my soul just because they're shared. 

         Even though I'm eighteen and have officially been caped as a high school graduate, Mama still thinks that I need to be treated like a two year old. Except that my curfew is past midnight and I'm sure that no sane Mama let's their newborn stay outside all hours of the night.   

        I try to distract her from the fact that it's currently ten in the morning by talking about something else, much to my failure."Oh, hey Mama! I didn't you see you there. How long have you been standing in the living room like that?  

        Hm," she begins. "Let's do some simple math here, Eleanora. You were supposed to be back in this house by your curfew, which has been twelve thirty ever since you graduated a few weeks ago.  Are you aware of this fact?" 

        Of course I'm aware of what time my curfew is. Although out my senior and junior year, Mama had me on a strict curfew of childhood proportions to be inside the house by eight o'clock. Not just by eight on school nights, but on the weekends and during the summer. Maybe that's why I never really had a life here, as I always had to leave before the party ever started. 

        "If I told you that I had no life what time I was supposed to be in at, can I not be in trouble?' 

        She looks at me with deadeyes and a scowl. 'No." 

        It was worth a shoot to go for it, though. You can't blame a girl for trying to make her punishment less cruel. Ever since Papa decided that Mama wasn't the one for him and went off to find someone else in Georgia, Mama hasn't ever been the same. The man left when I was fairly young, of course, and therefore there is always the option of Mama always being like this and I just don't remember it. I just wish that she was more like the parents in movies or books, loose and fun at all times without a care in the world about how I live my life. I suppose that she just cares about me intensely, but still.  

        "Do you think this is a joke? You're literally trying to mess with me and this is not the time or place to be doing it. You're an adult now, Eleanora. It's time that you start to act it and take responsibility for you actions. I will ask you again and you better now lie to my face this time, okay? Are you or are you not aware of your curfew?" 

        I nod my head, eyes casting to the ground in something less mild than shame. "I know what time my curfew is and I completely disregarded it last night. I'm sorry about trying to make a joke about the whole thing and I'm sorry for lying to you. It won't happen again." 

        "Thank you for your honesty, Nellie. You know that the complete truth is all I expect from you. I know that you don't like getting in trouble, but you have to realize that in the real world there are consequences to every action you make. I don't want to be the bad guy here, but you're grounded for a few weeks." 

        "Mama!" I fight back, not wanting to be stuck in this small little house for weeks on end. Nothing against this house or Mama, as I love the both of them something dearly. The two things are like Nutella, good in small amounts but you shouldn't eat the whole container in one sitting or you'll be left with an upset stomach that would take weeks to calm.