Ch3 - Parasite

Omen's POV

You couldn't help but shudder at the aura that Fresh was giving off, but instead of feeling afraid, you were concerned. "...Parasite?" He repeated with a dark voice, fingers twitching.

Was he upset that you knew about it? Was... was it one of those STATs that were meant to be hidden? You forgot you bypassed hidden STATs. Maybe that would explain his sudden behavior change. Or... was he scared you would treat him differently?

"U-uhm. I am sorry if I was not meant to know. I have a passive ability that lets me see a few stats. Yours refers to you as a parasite, and mentions vessel integrity," you confessed truthfully. If you weren't meant to know, it was best you tell him how you found out rather than worrying him. "I want to make it clear that I'm not judging you for it, Fresh. I'm not bothered by what you are."

His glasses flicked to say ???-??? as though he had genuinely expected you to act in a much more unkind manner now that you had revealed to knowing what he was. "Ya really don't mind?"

You shook your head. "Not at all. Nobody controls the circumstances in which we are born, but we can choose who we become from the way we treat others. And so far, you've been nothing but kind to me."

Still, you weren't so sure he was convinced. He did seemed to consider your words carefully as you spoke, frowning a little. "...What would ya do if I tried ta possess you?" He let out in a very serious voice

You thought for a moment. "Well, I'm not sure. I would want to help you, but I'm not sure what would happen to me if you took over. If... If I knew I would die, I would probably put up a fight. But if it was more like possession, and just temporary, then I would be okay with it because it means I could help. You're my friend. I'd want to help you, even if it hurt me."

He gave the most confused look you had ever seen a person express. Was what you said really that weird? "...That was rhetorical, mah dude. I was tryna scare ya to see how you'd react."

You blinked rapidly for a moments, processing what he had said. "Oh. I'm sorry," you let out, but were more confused than you were apologetic. He seemed even more confused at your apology. "Do... do you need a new host, though? Is that why you asked? My healing and the candies only brought your 'vessel integrity' up to 23%. I assume that is low?"

He stared at you. And stared. And stared some more. You were starting to get really uncomfortable by it, the silence lingering for more than normal. Eventually, though, he gave a shrug, finally averting his gaze.

"Nah. I totes have it handled now, mah bruh. It'd be super unrad of me tah possess you after yah used up all your magic and candies on me," he let out, returning to his more casual, laid back demeanor.

You grabbed your stickers again, having dropped them to your side earlier, and begun placing them all over your own hands to keep them busy. The distraction was helping to keep you calm. You didn't really understand how to interpret the situation now. You felt like you had done something wrong, like you had upset Fresh, and it was making you want to cry.

"...Are we still friends? You... seemed upset. About the parasite thing." You asked in the silence that followed. "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to make you upset. I just..."

"Chillax, mah broski. We are totes best friends now, ya can't get rid of me that easily," he interrupted jokingly before you could dissolve into a panic attack. The tension in your shoulders and chest melted away in an instant. "Just don't go tellin' people 'bout what I am, yeah? Not many folk know 'bout it, but you're pretty chill, so I'm not worried."

"Of course. If its something you'd rather have kept secret, I won't bring it up again," you breathed out with a smile. "Thankyou, Fresh. For still being my friend." You were still fidgeting, but a bit calmer now.

When the silence started to settle a little long again, Fresh spoke up, ensuring it wouldn't become uncomfortable again. "By the way, your candies sure were totes rad at healing, my dude, but they were hella sour. Worse than sucking a lemon!" He didn't seem upset by that. If anything, he seemed playful, amused even. Was he trying to lighten the mood? He didn't say anything when he first ate them.

You chuckled. "I apologise for that. I tend to like things that are very sour or spicy. Most Sanses have their condiments - I have lemon juice or chilli powder," you let out. "Not together, though, just to clarify." You tilted your head. Maybe that was something you should try mixing? Sounded like a bad idea, but sometimes that lead to fun discoveries.

"Have ya ever had a Citric Sour Sucker?" Fresh grinned. You shook your head, not sure what it was, waiting for him to continue. "I've gotta get ya some next time, bruh. Usually use 'em for mah radtacular pranks, but I bet you would love 'em."

You giggled. "That sounds nice. Maybe we could have them together," you hummed. "Sour apple or lemon are my favorite candy flavors, generally speaking. Not a fan of anything cherry though," you hummed. Cherry always tasted oddly like plastic to you. "I'll see if I can find something interesting for you, too, friend."

You liked that word. Friend. It was nice finallt having somebody you could call that.

"Sounds like a plan, mah rad homie bro. I should probs skedaddle soon, though. " Slowly, he begun to stand up, brushing snow and dirt from his pants as he did so. You followed shortly after, thankful that your clothes seemed more protected from the elements than his had been.

Your eyes remained averted to the ground. You always found it so hard to maintain eye contact, not that Fresh seemed to have minded throughout your entire interaction. In fact, he seemed completely fine with all your little quirks. It made you feel... normal, for once.

"...Fresh, before you leave, do you have someplace safe to go? I wouldn't want you to leave if you will just be hurt before you have a chance to fully recover..." You could not hide the concern from your voice. Fresh was your friend and you wanted to make sure that he would be okay.

He nodded. "I know a dude who can help. Folk say he's unrad, but he's actually the raddest dude I know," he let out with a grin. "I just... don't wanna bother him, ya know? He's been real good to me and I'm worried I'll get to be too much..."

"Well... if he is as 'rad' as you say he is, then I am sure you could try talking to him about it," you let out. "If he has an issue, then I am sure he will communicate it with you so you can work on it. Just as you should, too, if something troubles you."

He stared at you for a moment, seemingly lost in thought. "That's some hella good advice, bruh. Thanks," he let out. "Do ya wanna come with? I'm sure ol' nighty won't mind if ya do."

You hesitated. "No thankyou, but I do appreciate the offer," you declined politely. As much as you were tempted, you were just so exhausted. You needed rest to recover your magic, and you were that too much further social interaction would push you into a meltdown.

He noded, clearly not taking any offence to his offer being refused. "Alright. How about you though, bro? You got somewhere you can kick it if things get unrad?"

You sighed. "...Not really."