Ch8 - Blue

Omen's POV

It wasn't much longer before Goth said a short goodbye to you and the cat he had been holding, then meandered to the entrance of the Cafe, where a skeleton with a dark cloak scooped the babybones into his arms. The way they nuzzled eachother closely for a moment made it clear that this was Goth's family, most likely a parent.

The two spoke together for a moment. Goth pointed to you at some point in the conversation, and the taller skeleton (of which you overheard Ccino greet as Reaper) gazed at you with a slightly surprised expression. It seemed to soften though, and he almost seemed to consider you with warmth, as though he were glad to see you were alright.

Goth waved at you, clearly wanting to say goodbye once again, and you returned one back with a similar level of enthusiasm. "Byebye Omen! Rea-papa says you're welcome to visit us at ReaperTale if ever you wanna chat!"

The shouting of the babybones earned the attention of a few people in cafe, and you shrunk back a little at having been noticed, but they returned to their drinks and previous conversation after a few short moments. You overheard some of the whispers. Was it really that unusual to be invited to ReaperTale? You tried not to think about it.

When Goth and Reaper disappeared from sight, you considered moving to a different part of the cafe, but with an adorably fluffy cat having claimed your lap, you realised you could not move without disturbing your furry friend. Several others joined you as the day continued on.

You got a few curious glances when the bench you sat on, the table, and your lap were all claimed by cats - seven of them were curled up around you, chirping adorably and vying for your attention. Glancing around the rest of the cafe, you noticed the other cats were fairly social, but only one or two would show enough interest to hang around a person. You briefly wondered why so many were drawn to you.

Cinno returned with the promised hot chocolate, and you had to lift one of the cats out of the way so there would be room on the table. "Popular," he chuckled, noticing how much kitty based attention you had received. He placed the mug down gently onto the freed table space. "Thankyou, Ccino," you let out politely. "May I please have a straw?"

He gave an odd expression, tilting his head. "Uh. Its a hot chocolate," he let out. When you didn't understand what he was trying to convey, he continued. "...People don't usually like straws with hot drinks," he clarified, "though I am happy to give you one if you would like it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding."

"Oh..." you let out, frowning slightly. "I am sorry if that was an odd request. I prefer straws for any drinks, regardless of temperature. Though I've admittedly only ever tried water, coffee or green tea. That's... why I didn't know what hot chocolate was. It just wasn't a thing I was introduced to, growing up."

"I understand. I'm not judging." He left momentarily and returned with a set of three stainless steel straws. They were all a rainbow metallic color. "Here," he hummed as he passed them over. "You can keep the extra two, so you have straws as a backup for if ever you decide to travel. We have more than enough, and they don't really get used much anyway since folk go for the plastic ones."

"I appreciate it," you let out in a thankful tone, placing the two into your inventory for safe keeping. He left shortly after when a customer called out for him, and though you tried not to eavesdrop, you heard them say something about having dropped their coffee and having startled one of the kitties as a result.

You put the final straw into the drink and took a sip. The taste was unlike anything you had ever had before - warm, sweet, rich. Though, part of you wanted to add just a little chilli flavoring to it. Chilli hot chocolate sounded like it could be a fun endeavour. ((AN: I have had this irl and it was fairly decent, though its easy for the chilli to overpower the flavor)).

Truthfully, you had not always been so keen on chilli powder, but it was an excellent way to mask the taste of foods that were potentially burned, rotted, or otherwise tainted in flavor. You had used it so often that it was just part of every meal now.

You were interrupted from your thoughts when a new skeleton suddenly spoke to you. "HELLO! MAY I PLEASE SIT WITH YOU?" He shouted enthusiastically. He was a very short Sans variant, but you could tell he was an adult despite that. He wore a satin blue bandana around his neck, and you could swear his eyelights were so filled with joy that they sparkled.

Unable to bring yourself to speak after having been startled so badly, you simply nodded, and the little skeleton took the spot just in front of you. The cat you knew was named Sun made its way over and sat in his lap, purring loudly, demanding his pets.

"I AM THE MAGNIFICENT BLUE! WHAT IS YOUR NAME, FUTURE FRIEND? I HAVEN'T SEE YOU HERE BEFORE!" His loud voice was something you were definitely going to have to adjust to. Sun seemed pleased enough as Blue played with their little toe beans.

"Hello Blue! I am called Omen," you introduced after a long moment. You tried to return some of that same enthusiasm, but you were still so quiet spoken. "I am new here, so I imagine that would be why you have not seen me before. I typically travel a lot. Ccino has been very kind to me."

He nodded, smiling as he eagerly listened to your words. Despite his bubbling enthusiasm, he didn't interrupt you. He seemed very friendly, but he had a way of making you feel welcomed.

"Are you from the original underswap?" You asked, remembering that Blue was also the name Fresh had brought up earlier. He'd even been described as hyper, which... seemed more than accurate.

"I AM! MWEH HlEH! WHY DO YOU ASK?"

"A friend mentioned that your au would be peaceful to visit," you explained. "He thought you would be a good friend since I, uhm, don't exactly have many."

"OH! I AM HONORED THAT YOUR FRIEND THOUGHT OF ME! DON'T WORRY, THE QUIET BUT LOVELY OMEN! I, THE GREAT AND MAGNIFICENT BLUE, WILL HELP YOU MAKE MANY FRIENDS! MWEH HEH HEH!" The way he struck a pose with his final words made you smile a little.

"Thankyou, Blue, that is very kind of you."

"SO WHAT AU ARE YOU FROM? YOU LOOK REALLY UNIQUE!" he paused, reconsidering his words for a moment as thoigh he realised they could be misinterpreted. "ER, NOT TO SAY NOBODY ELSE IS UNIQUE. I JUST MEANT THAT YOU HAVE A VERY DARK OUTFIT AND PEOPLE USUALLY ARE MORE COLORFUL! NOT TO SAY ITS BAD OR ANYTHING! I... I'M RAMBLING, AREN'T I?"

You chuckled. It was clear that the little skeleton was trying his best not to offend you. You weren't upset by his words - it was true that you were, visually, a pretty dark alternate. "You're fine, I understand," you hummed out. "As for my AU, uhm... I don't know what it was called. I am sorry."

"OH! ARE YOU FROM THE OMEGA TIMELINE THEN?" he then let out. You tilted your head. You just explained you didn't know your AUs name, so the follow up question must have meant something slightly different.

"...I'm not sure what that is, so probably not," you admitted.

"ITS WHERE OUTCODES STAY! PEOPLE WHOS AUS WERE DESTROYED AND WHO HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO GO!" He seemed very proud of that fact. Did he maybe help in establishing it as a safe space?

You tilted your head. "...Is this a new thing?"

"HUH? NO, THE OMEGA TIMELINE HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A FEW DECADES NOW."

So there was a palce for people like you, and you had never been told of it? Did... that mean they just didn't want you there? That the 'Omega Timeline' didn't like you, for some reason? "Oh," was all you managed to say.

"WHY? DO YOU NOT HAVE A PLACE TO GO?" The concern in his voice was unmistakeable, but you felt a little uncomfortable. You didn't really want everybody to know that you had so little places to go, you didn't want to risk it becoming a known vulnerability of yours.

"...I'm alright. I am staying with Ccino right now," you dismissed, deciding you no longer wanted to talk about this topic.

"OH! OKAY!" He let out. You breathed a sigh of relief that he did not push the topic any further. He may have seemed overly energetic and friendly, but you had a feeling he was much more intellegent than people assumed him to be.