Ch6 - Rest

Omen's POV

The room that Ccino led you to was just as cozy and warm as the rest of the cafe had been. It held a queen sized bed made of cherry wood, a plethora of cushions and blankets adorning a plush mattress. There was a matching wardrobe and writing desk, as well as a small bedside table that held a basic lamp.

Being on the second floor, the room had a large window, though it was obscured partially by heavy curtains that you were sure would block out all light if they were closed. Gently, you put down Neon, the cat preferring to watch curiously from the bed instead of wandering off to join the other cats.

"Thankyou, Ccino," you let out, genuinely appreciative that he had been kind enough to allow you to stay in this room. It was more than you had ever expected. You couldn't remember the last time you had slept.

Cinno gave a smile. "I'll be downstairs if you need anything. Just keep your door open if you want the cats to join you, so they can still wander about," he hummed. "Also, feel free to go for a shower and use anything you find in here or the bathroom." He then made his leave. You could hear the footsteps creek as he went downstairs to the cafe area.

You still didn't know what to make of Ccino. Even though you hadn't been particularly social with the skeleton, having preferred to cuddle with the cats in silence, he was still friendly towards you. He had gifted you cookies (of which you secretly stashed in your inventory for later), let you cuddle the kitties, even offered you a place to stay.

As cautious as you wanted to be in this unfamiliar place, it was too easy to relax. It had such a cosy atmosphere, and Fresh had seemed to think it was safe enough to bring you here. Safety was not something you were used to, but you were already enjoying the feeling of it.

You decided to shower, since the option had been given to you. You checked the door was locked three times before you felt safe enough to undress. Stripping your clothes caused you to grimace. You didn't like the sight of your exposed skeleton, all of the scars and cracks made visible.

Your soul glowed vaguely through your rib cage. It was black, like the color of your magic, instead of the usual white that monster souls were. It was pretty though, the way it had little white glimmers, like stars in a dark night sky. You pulled it out for a moment, knowing you were alone, and cringed.

It was filled with little holes, pinpricks from the countless needles that had taken samples or injected unknown substances into you. It had a nasty looking crack down the middle, as though it had tried to rip itself into two, but was held together despite that. The crack glowed gold, which was... something that confused you.

Forcing yourself to tear your eyes away from it, you let the damaged little soul retreat into the confines of your chest, and slipped into the shower. The water was cold, at first, and you almost swore, but it warmed relatively quickly to a more reasonable temperature.

You spent much longer in the shower than you had intended to. It wasn't easy getting years worth of grime, dust and marrow off your bones. You were thankful it wasn't obvious how dirty you were due to the dark colors of your clothes.

When you were finally clean, you could see more cracks than you had prior. You ran your phalanges over some of them, strangely enjoying the texture, but abandoned the gesture when you found your mind slowly clouded with thoughts of self harm.

You couldn't do that, not here. It... didn't feel polite. That didn't erase the countless scars from cuts to your arms though. Its not like it ever took your HP down by much, and they were always hidden by your clothing anyway.

Maybe... maybe it was worth trying to kick that habit? You had a friend now, Fresh. You didn't want him to be sad if he found out the way you hurt yourself. It was never meant as self punishment or anything though, you weren't trying to make yourself suffer, it was always used strictly as a deterrent to suicide. You probably needed to learn some better coping strategies.

You put your previous outfit back on, taking the time to adjust any buckles you needed to. Your boots were the only item you did not put back on, figuring you were probably safe enough to leave them off just this once, though you kept them close just in case.

You didn't know how, but your clothes were always clean. You didn't actually know where the outfit came from - it just sort of appeared on you once you finally escaped the void, as though the universe itself had made it for you.

It were as though the clothing were made through magic, always looking immaculate as though it had never even been worn. It didn't matter if you literally fell into a pile of mud, it would end up looking brand new before the end of the day without ever having cleaned it. It was useful.

Feeling far more relaxed, and cleaner than you had ever been in your entire life, you slowly lowered yourself onto the mattress. You weren't used to sleeping like this. Usually, you had to steal sleep by hiding in trees, or in small spaces like under houses, or anywhere you thought might be safe enough not to be dusted if caught.

As comfortable as the bed was, it... didn't feel right. You still felt too open and exposed, even with the door only being ajar very slightly (you wanted the kitties to be able to join you). You laid there for a while, but were just too restless.

Eventually, you found yourself crawling underneath the bed. It was comfortable there. Hidden away from prying eyes, dark. The enclosed space made you feel comfortable. Made you feel safe. And when the fluffy black cat Night decided to join you, you smiled

You found yourself drifting away very quickly after moving. How long had it been since you had slept? How long had it been since you felt safe enough to rest your eyes? You didn't know. You hoped that this place of refuge wouldn't be snatched away from you.