Ch7 - Goth

Omen's POV

You weren't sure how much later it had been when you awoke, but the fatigue from earlier had barely lessened. Sleep was something you were probably far too behind on for a single rest to make much of a difference. Still, you felt much more awake now, and you knew that trying to sleep longer would be a pointless endeavour.

Crawling out from beneath the bed, you were surprised to find several cats curled up on the mattress. You weren't sure their names, but they looked comfortable. Some were curled up, though a few were stretched out full like long skinny noodles.

You sighed, rubbing the sleep away from your sockets. It was nixe that you had found sucu anpleasant place to sleep, but you weren't exactly sure on what to do next. Maybe you should go down to the cafe and see if Ccino is still around?

You crept down the stairs cautiously, gazing at the cafe with watchful eyes. The aroma of freshly baked muffins filled the air, the sound of joyful gossip and chinking of porcelain mugs.

You saw Ccino pause whatever interaction he was having at the register to give you a quick wave, and you returned it, momentarily eyeing the person he was serving. They looked like a Sans type, and you couldn't be sure, but you thought they might be flirting by the way Ccino's face bloomed into a shy blush. It didn't seem to be requited.

Still at the landing of the stairs, you gazed at the various customers. With everybody looking so unique, nobody really stood out to you. You were a little disappointed that most of the customers seemed to be variants of Sans or Papyrus, even if they were all so vastly different in aesthetic.

Eventually, your eyes ended up settling on a quiet looking skeleton in the corner. Aside from their dark undershirt and deep red scarf, they wore completely white attire, hood covering the top of their skull. They were short, so much so that you were pretty sure they were a child.

They must have felt your gaze linger because their attention slowly turned to you, eyelights meeting yours. They tilted their head, putting down the cat in their arms in favor od giving you their full attention. Were they curious of you?

You hesitated, considering whether or not you should meet the stranger. You hadn't met child variants before. In the end, the decision was taken from you, as the stranger instead came to you.

Wordlessly, they pulled your hand into theirs, and led you to the comfortable spot they had been sitting. You complied, a little unsure of what was going on, but not afraid. They were, after all, just a child.

After they sat and got themself comfortable, they pat the spot next to them, and you sat alongside the little skeleton. "I'm Goth!" they introduced cheerfully.

"Omen," you returned, a light smile lighting your featured.

"You look a lot different from last time," they hummed, and you found yourself feeling a little confused by his words.

"Sorry, but have we met? You don't look familiar," you admitted sheepishly. Had you met and simply forgotten? That would make you feel awful. How could you have forgotten such a sweet seeming kid?

They let out a hum, momentarily lost in thought. "I guess not. We almost did," they finally settled on. "I like your clothes. They're much better than the ugly green hospital gown."

You felt yourself freeze at his words, your chest tight with panic. "H-how..." you stuttered out, trying your best to remain calm. Did... did they know you from before? They weren't going to try to make you go back, were they? No, they were a child, that wouldn't make sense. But then, how did they know about your past?

"I'm a reaper like my papa. You were meant to die that day," Goth said in a soft voice. "But then your Sans pushed you into the void. And something changed." They paused, brows furrowed in thought. "You're immortal now."

You processed his words slowly. If they were a reaper, having seen you only because you were meant to die, then they wouldn't have been connected to your Sans or Dr Rivers. You were safe. Then again, you didn't even know if the two were looking for you, you were likely believed to be dead.

"....What do you mean?" you finally let out. You knew that falling into the void had changed you, had done something to affect the very core of your being. But you didn't understand what, or how, or why. Did Goth have some answers, maybe?

The child shrugged. "I guess you must be a god. Or a guardian. Or maybe a glitch like me, but I don't think so. Maybe Rea-papa would know more. He's not as scary as everybody says he is," they hummed. "But, you seem happier now. It doesn't feel like your soul is begging to die anymore. I'm glad."

You... didn't even want to know how they knew that. Life at The Facility had been something you would rather die than be subjected to again, but they were was definitely right when he said you were happier now. You had freedom now. Some peace, even.

You were snapped from your thoughts when Goth suddenly shoved a cookie into your hand, one of which you hadn't seen him with prior.

"Sorry if I freaked you out. I was just surprised to see you. Are you one of Ccino's 'starlights' now?" they inquired. It was clear from your interactions that Goth was genuinely just a carious child, even if they knew things you didn't want anyone to know.

You blinked. "Starlights?" you repeated, unfamiliar with the term being used.

"Yeah! Mr Ccino likes to help people a lot, and that's what he calls the people who stay with him," Goth explained with a cheerful grin, taking a chunk out of a cookie. Where was he even getting all this cookies?

"I... guess so," you confirmed reluctantly. It sounded like the term probably applied to you.

Before the child could say anything further, your attention was drawn to Ccino, who passed the kid some sort of hot beverage in a mug. "Goth, you're not scaring my guest, are you? I know how you can get," Ccino scolded when he saw your unease, though it sounded mostly playful.

"I'm noooot," Goth whined, already having some of his drink. You weren't familiar with what it was. What were the fluffy little chunks on top that melted into it? Some kind of sweet, maybe?

Cinno chuckled, then tilted his head at your staring. "You doing okay?"

You nodded. "Yeah. Uhm. Sorry," you apologised, drawing your attention away. "I was just wondering what that was. It smells nice."

"Oh, you mean the hot chocolate?" Ccino said. You gave a perplexed expression. Hot chocolate? That didn't sound like anything you had ever had before. Was it like... flavored water?

Goth seemed to notice your confusion quicker than Ccino did. "I don't think they've had one before, Ccino. Can I buy them one? With extra marshmallows and cream, like mine!" They giggled.

"O-oh, thankyou, but you don't have to do that," you let out timidly. You weren't used to people giving you things, especially not without wanting something in return. Though... Goth was a child, maybe they were just happy to share something they liked with you.

"Nonesense," Ccino interrupted with a smile. "It's on the house, anyway. Unless you want to try something else?"

You didn't know anything else they offered, so you reluctantly shook your head. "The hot chocolate is okay. But just a small one" you requested.

As Ccino went to leave, Goth quickly reached out, pulling on the sweater to stop him leaving. "Can I have more cookies?"

"I think you've had enough, kiddo," Ccino chuckled, earning him an adorable pout from the smaller skeleton.

"But you can never have enough cookies!" he protested, voice pleading.

Ccino shook his head. "Seventeen is more than enough. And don't think I didn't catch you sneaking that handful from the oven," he let out. He seemed... amused. "You'll end up with a stomach ache, little cookie hoarder."

Goth rolled his eyes. "Fiiiine. I'll just nag somebody else for more," they let out cheekily, poking out their ecto-tongue.