17

Outer City Roads

Empress Ruyi Khang

"Can't we hurry this up?" The empress asked, voice loud enough for the coachman to hear. The carriage moved too slow, she noticed. Even with her instructions to be in a hurry the servant was too wary of being followed by the empress dowager's spies to take the command.

Ruyi was getting impatient. With her mother's spies way ahead of them, she may not be able to come to the Lady's rescue if something were to happen. She tapped her finger, signalling the carriage to stop. As it came to a halt, a royal guard came close to the window.

"Are we not in a hurry, your Highness?" The guard asked.

The empress nodded her head, earning a confused frown from the guard.

"Bring me a horse" Ruyi suddenly ordered. The royal guard understood quickly what she wanted to do but too many eyes stared.

"Pardon?" The royal guard pretended to be taken aback by the request but his finger had already instructed one of his men to fetch a horse with just a few swift motions.

Ruyi waited until a beautiful black stallion came into view. They brought it near the carriage and Ruyi got out hastily, wasting no time to try and climb the horse's back.

Horseback riding was one of the many things the empress excelled at, her own performance greater than that of the emperor, but the surrounding royal guards and few servant's helped her position herself properly on the horse's back. Afterall, nothing would be more odd if the empress was seen wearing trousers on her bottoms, so even with how difficult it is to ride in her gown, it shall do.

"Awaiting your orders, your royal highness" her personal guard muttered under his breath as he got close.  Ruyi inspected her surroundings, her eyes gazing back and forth to the crowd and the carriage as an idea popped in her head.

"I'm sure Mother will send someone after me to monitor my movements. Take the carriage on the merchant that sells precious jewelries I frequent at and make sure they think I am shopping inside" Ruyi gave her final order before commanding five guards who had their own horses follow her as she began moving, a smile of satisfaction painted on her lips as her movement was ten times faster than when she was on the carriage.

"Wait for me...my sneaky little liar" the empress chuckled softly under her throat.

Jin Xun Li

"Is it not inappropriate for the emperor and a concubine from the palace to be in such a place?" Jin inquired, eyes warily glancing around as he tugged on the sleeves of the emperor's robes.

"It's publicity. In case the word got out about the scandalous situation you are in, people will have a bit of doubt" the emperor explained as if it was common knowledge, successfully making Jin's eye twitch in irritation that made him divert his full attention on the bustling crowd while the emperor discusses with the old hag in the front desk, owner of the famous courtesan house.

"Fighting something scandalous with another scandalous thing...how are you seriously fit to rule" Jin mumbled under his breath grumpily. Next thing he knew, his sides suddenly ached as the emperor's fingers pinched him. Jin gritted his teeth and hissed while the Xian only smirked, finding the reaction adorable in a sense, it reminded him of an angry chihuahua.