Chapter 1: Soledad

Her full name was Soledad Olabunmi Williams, but people called her Bunmi. Her parents were wealthy enough to buy the president's villa. Mr. and Mrs. Williams were also popular people. Mr. Williams, Bunmi's dad, was a guru in business and was prominent for his intellectual intelligence and fame. He had enough wealth to last him five generations to come. Other wealthy people also recognized Mr. Williams for his moral character, kindness, and honesty. People wanted him to participate in politics since he had the traits of a promising leader, but he rejected several offers. Mrs. Williams too was a professional accountant. She worked at the Jaiz Bank of Nigeria headquartered in Area 3, Garki Abuja. It was the best and most famous financial institution in the country.

However, they had only one security officer known as Mr. Fatunla John. Mr. John was a jovial and transparent person. He was also trustworthy enough to work and live with the Williams. His loyal wife, Rebecca, also worked as a maid. The John family lived at the apartment by the gate side. They had a son called Alexander, but people referred to him as Alex. Mr. Williams made sure that Mr. John's only son attended the same school as his daughter, Bunmi.

Alex and Bunmi grew as siblings, though Alex was two years younger. They shared and did the same things together. Mr. Williams got a lesson teacher and paid him monthly in other to teach both of them during weekends. Bunmi and Alex studied together, ate, played, and went shopping together. Both families goes shopping with the both of them after attending church services on Sundays.

"Bunmi is the apple in her parents' eyes." Rebecca told her 9-year-old son, Alex. "Make sure you don't leave her to harm, because she's your sister."

Alex glanced at the ceiling, confused.

"Okay mum, but.. What do you mean by that? Bunmi is a person, not an apple," he corrected his mum.

"That was an idiom, son." She laughed at him. "You'll learn that in school later on. What I meant was that Bunmi is precious to her parents."

"Oh, I understand now. Well, Bunmi is also the apple of my eyes, mum. I will always defend my sister." He assured with a smile.

"Good." She handled him his lunch and then hurried out. Alex was smart and always attentive.

His dad, who was also the driver, was waiting for them outside. The kids climbed the car, and they hurried for school. Mr. And Mrs. Williams had their personal car. They drive themselves to their place of work. Mr. John only takes the children to school and back from school during weekdays, and drives the parents out occasionally, during weekends.

Many called Alex the driver's son, knowing that his parents worked for the Williams. The pupils of Basic 5 did this in order to down-grade Alex. This made him sad most of the time. No one wanted to become his friend. Greater Heights Academy was a prominent school located in Area 11, Garki Abuja. None of the kids wanted to settle for a poor friend. Alex's classmates avoided him that they never played or talked with him. Every newly admitted pupil was just like the rest.

Once, when Alex was in Basic 3, the school was to hold an Inter House Sport Competition.

Mrs. Atinuke, their class teacher, asked Bose, the House captain, to get five boys from Basic 3. Alex wanted to join because he like football. He approached Bose at once.

"What do you know about football, shortie? I bet you've never touched a ball in your life! Your parent can't afford to buy a television, so why would I allow you fail our team?"

"What?" He cracked and nodded at her attitude. Alex's eyes widened as he frowned. "Don't be ridiculous, Bose. I play football at home. You have no idea."

"Hm! You would have been living in the streets if not for Bunmi's parents." She pressed at him and Alex simply nodded in disagreement. Knowing how hardworking his parents are.