Chapter 8: Facing Reality

It was exactly three weeks after the speech and prize given day. Rebecca was preparing Bunmi and Alex for their academic resumption. Alex already wrote his common entrance and was awaiting his result. It was no doubt that he did great, but his parents were planning to change his school from a private to a public one.

As it was, living was already tough and gradually changing, unlike before when Bunmi’s parents were around and alive. It’s been two months since they last received a salary. Mr. John was on a job hunt while his wife, Rebecca, planned on opening a provision store in the residential area where they lived. That afternoon, Mr. John gave it a rest, working on his computer system, drafting more emails to send you companies that were in need of security officers. He also purchased a pile of newspapers, doing research on other job opportunities.

Rebecca just arrived from Wuse market, which was the biggest and most common market in Abuja. It was located in Zone 5 of Wuse district. Rebecca woke up very early in order to purchase the best goods at the cheapest price. She returned with two Ghana-must-go bags. Once they walked through the door, the children ran to embrace her in.

“Welcome mummy.” Alex yelled.

“Welcome Aunt.” Bunmi greeted.

She always referred to Rebecca as Aunt because her mother usually called her sister. And they related well like blood siblings, though they weren’t.

“Thank you.” She smiled at the kids in appreciation.

“Wow! You bought a lot from the market. What did you buy for me?”

“Can’t you see I am famished? Why don’t you get me cold water from the fridge first?” Rebecca sniveled her son, rubbing her temple.

Without words, Alex scurried to the kitchen.

“Such a naughty boy.” A tired yawn whooshed out of her while Rebecca stared off in her son’s direction as he strolled into the kitchen.

Alex picked a clean glass cup and placed it in a sliver tray. Then he walked to the fridge and got a bottle of water for his mother. Alex positioned it on a stool before her head, back, and parted lips.

“Good.” Rebecca smiled at him with satisfaction as she gulped the content drown her throat. “Water is life, indeed.”

She puffed out a whiff of relief.

Energized, Mrs. John then pulled the bags closer and unzipped the first. She brought our a laptop backpack for Alex. “Here, mummy’s boy.” Rebecca faced her son with a black laptop bag. “This is for you.”

And Bunmi, a pair of sandals and socks. “I hope that is your size. Put it on.” She instructed, worried if t wasn’t her size she might have to return it.

“Wow, beautiful! Thanks so much, ma.” Bunmi chuckled while putting it on. It was exactly her size.

“Wow! This school bag is perfect. I always wanted this, and you bought it for me? Thank you, mum!” Alex have her a soft side hug.

She pushed him away, still feeling hot. “Wo, leave me alone jare. Just make sure you take care of this bag because you’re going to use it throughout your secondary school.” She clarified, pointing at him with her index finger, so he remembers.

“Definitely, mum. I won’t spoil my new bag,” he agreed.

“Better.” She rolled her eyes at him and rested her back on the sofa chair. “As you can see, we are managing things now. I need the both of you to concentrate on your studies, so my effort too won’t go to waste.”

“Okay, ma.” They smile, checking out what she bought for them.

“I bought a dozen of new exercise nooks for you, Bunmi but I won’t hand them over to you, today. I’ll give you when you resume, okay?”