Chapter 6: The Burnt Jollof Rice

Like every other house in Abuja, they planted the Williams mansion in the middle of a gigantic compound. The rule of every man with his business applied to Mr. John, too. They hardly had any visitors. The sky was aglow, reflecting the light onto the dewy morning grass of the lawn.

Bunmi woke up with a cough. She grabbed her sweaty forehead in and shut her eyes right. As if collecting an event. Slowly, she let her eyes open and her right hand drifted to her chest. It raced.

“Was that a nightmare?” she couldn’t understand. 

Bunmi was never scared of the dark, but the dinners of the room gave her chills.

Without delay, she pulled out of bed and checked through the cracked windows. It was windy. Although Bunmi did not like how things looked, the dull day burgeoned into slight rainfall, and it wasn’t even 8 a.m. yet.

Her little fingers held her neck as she walked into the bathroom. Brush her teeth, wash her face and returned to her room. The John's family had three guestrooms at that apartment. Bunmi usually stays in one. Once they reached the bed, her legs bent in a kneeling position, as she placed her hand together in prayer.

She prayed for journey mercies for both of her parents and begged that nothing evil befalls them.

After her morning devotion, Bunmi strolled to the living room. She met Mrs. John cleaning the dining table. The jollof rice aroma filled her nose, and she blushed at her presence. Good morning, ma,” Bunmi greeted.

Rebecca turned to her with an identical smile.

“Good morning, my dear. Hope you slept well?” her lips pressed a slim lined smile.

“Yes.” Bunmi replied, knowing she just lied. She climbed a chair in the dinning and sat. For used to Mrs. John.

“Can you help me with your phone, please? I need to call my mum.”

Rebecca’s eyes blinked. Again and again. “You... You said what?” She pretends not to have heard.

“I want to speak with my mum right now. Please, help me daily with her contact.

“Why the hurry?” Rebecca whispered. She glimpsed at Bunmi for an answer.

“I dreamt about mum and dad were in a beautiful garden. They had a baby boy at hand and he looked like me. They chuckled at him as they brought him to me. They looked so happy.”

“What?” her eyes went round with a prolonged breath. “A baby boy?”

“I didn’t know if my mum was pregnant. , it felt so real.”

“I wanted to carry the baby when they both turned their backs to me with sad expressions. I called them back, but the scene suddenly turned dark. It began to rain. I called them but they didn’t turn back. They faded right in from of me, Aunt.” She then squinted her eyes and said, “I shouted at them, but it was all a dream.”

Rebecca gasped at the overwhelming confusion, and the chaotic thought of Bunmi’s dream drove her baffling. Her hand drifted to her raised lips before she realized that her mouth was wide opened. Mrs. John just watched Bunmi, out of words to say. “Uhh... I’m out of airtime.”

“That’s not true... Dail her contact just once least. I forced myself to sleep last night.” She pleaded with dotted-puppy eyes. “I need to know if they arrived in Dubai safely. It’s the fourth day today, and I haven’t heard from my parents. Why hasn’t mum called? She promised to call.”

“Let us wait a little more for her call. We will call your mum later in the evening.” Mrs. John pressed anxiously.

“I just want to hear her voice. I also need to know when she is coming. You should text her now?”