Chapter 5: On A Journey Of No Return

When Bunmi paid Alex a visit in his class, he wasn’t there. Astonished, she checked the other classes and the toilets, hoping that he was safe.

“Ah-lex! Ah-lex! Ah-lex!” Bunmi heard the students cheering at her brother on the football field. He just scored a goal.

With darting eyes to proof he was the one, Bunmi walked to where the students sat and joined them. Wrinkles formed around her eyes as she smiled. The feeling of watching Alex play with such freedom was a beauty to behold. She couldn’t hide her happiness.

Bunmi cheered him up, and Alex scored three goals for his team.

After football, she walked up to him, chuckling.
“What’s so funny?” Alex raised, looking around as if it was probably something else.

“Congratulations on your freedom!” She wrapped her hands around him in a big cuddle, but Alex pushed her away with a hardened expression.

“How can one be so clingy? Can’t you see I’m sweaty?” his lips slacked as he bowed in embarrassment. People were watching.

Bunmi scrunched up her face and suddenly cracked up at his attitude. "Are you avoiding me now? How can you be so serious when I’m celebrating with you, come on! Look at how you chat with Eric and Boma. Who would have imagined?” she blushed and nodded.

“Yes. All thanks to you and your Amebo.” he made a duck mouth at her and turned away, looking for where to sit.

Then he found one.

“Uh! That’s called sisterly care, Alex. I’ll take that as a thank you.” Bunmi emphasized, sitting beside him. “You should be grateful you have someone like me to back you up. I thought I would lose you some weeks ago. Even though it hurts, I just had to say the truth.”

They sat close to each other. Alex raised his chin, and relaxed his shoulders back in dignity. It clicked to Bunmi that even his attitude changed. The power of companionship must have suddenly built his confidence.

“You could have found another way. Instead of meeting my parents saying. They bullied Alex! Yes! He was bullied by everyone in his class.” He mimicked Bunmi’s most childish voice. “Wasn’t that how you said it?” he focused his eyes on her with a smirk.

“Well, I can’t remember...  I couldn’t even think at that moment.” She told him frankly. “Look, just like I always told you, I will still tell you! Your life isn’t yours if you always care about what others think of you. So live your life the way you want to.”

“Thanks, ma’am.” He placed a hand on his chest in appreciation and bowed, still in his sitting position.

“That’s more like it.” She chuckled with a hand over her mouth.

The siblings were interrupted by the school bell that chimed at a distance.
They pulled up at once.

“It’s nice knowing you’re no longer tortured by your classmates.” She smiled. "See you later."

“Bye, dear sister.” He hummed in a tune and spine freely while running into the boy’s toilet to clean up himself before going to this class.

Unlike before when Alex followed her like a doll. It felt good to know that he was now facing other aspects of his life, living it the way he should. With the crinkled eyes and nose of a satisfied heart, Bunmi returned to her classroom.

Everything was purple and red roses until Bunmi got home. She discovered that her parents would be traveling on June 17th. Mr. And Mrs. Williams intended to travel to Dubai for their seventh wedding anniversary. They told Mr. John about it, and he agreed to take care of Bunmi till their arrival. Although Bunmi would have loved to follow them, the period fell between her revision and second term examination of Basic 3. She agreed to wait for them too.