Chapter 12: Family Is Family

At the end of the month, Mrs. John bought some baby goods from the market. She arranged them in a corner of the children’s room where she slept with Bunmi.

That evening, Mr. Mayowa John stepped in late. It was almost 10:00 p.m. when he got in. Knocking on the locked door, Rebecca, who was pissed off, took her time. Then, he leaned toward the wooden door and tapped gently on it, not to wake up the neighbours. Mayowa was understanding. His wife, Rebecca, had never locked him outside before. It was immature of her, and this was getting out of hand.

“Rebecca, please open the door. I bought something for you.” She rolled her eyes towards the door, knowing he was outside.

“Please, I’m sorry. I can explain... Just let me in.”

Again, there was no reply. It was 10:37 p.m already. There was no one outside but noisy frogs, stray dogs from the neighborhood, and crickets. It froze outside as the night grew. Rebecca gave him the silent treatment for about thirty minutes. Yet, she paid a listening ear. She walked up to the door and unlocked it.

Entering gave Mr. John cold feet and mixed feelings about why his wife suddenly opened up for him. Once he came in, she switched off the living room lights about to go to bed with Bunmi, who was long asleep.

"Rebecca!" He called her back. She paused her case, facing the direction of the room as she gaped at the ceiling.

“I’m sorry for the embarrassment.” Mr. John placed both hands together as he faced his wife. “I know I acted cold towards you. Don’t make this cause a rift between us. I am sorry, and I mean it.”

“Really?” she asked with a raised a smile on her lip. Then her gaze dropped. She finally faced her husband.

He had a fancy bag in hand.

“What is that?” She asked, walking up to him. Mr. John and his wife met halfway through the living room.

“It’s my first gift for the new baby,” he revealed.

“That’s nice.” Rebecca blushed as she checked. Her radiant smile brightened the dim room. It was a set of baby clothes for boys. It was all blue. Her slim eyebrows suddenly snapped together in a scowl.

“You bought boy's clothes? We’re expecting a girl.”

“What? A girl.” his thick brows lifted in surprise.

“Yes.” she looked up at him to study his expression. The edges of his lips pulled down like a child, about to cry. It disappointed him.

“Is everything alright, Mayowa?” her eyes clustered with flattering lashes.

“Yes.” He croaked. “You didn’t tell me we were expecting a girl.”

Mr. John’s lips pressed in a fine line as he smiled briefly with his left hand scratching his neck. “The baby can still use this.”

“Take this if you’re disappointed in the gender of our child.” She rumpled the clothes on his chest and turned her back to walk away.

“Rebecca! Rebecca!” Mr. John called on his wife while the baby’s clothes dropped from his chest. “It’s not what you think, please, come back! Let’s have a quick cha-”

Not playing the role of the doubting Thomas, she walked into the room and shut the door without saying good night.

Mr. John slapped his forehead as his fingers ran through his neatly shaved head. He wondered how Rebecca can have a change of heart in a blink. His lips pressed together as he exhaled an exasperated sigh.

Regardless, Mayowa didn’t even get the chance to tell her about his new job. This childish behaviour of Rebecca was getting unbearable. Unreasonable and uncalled for. A while ago, he thought their petty argument would be over. Mr. John settled on the sofa and placed the clothes on the table. He also bout a loaf of soft sliced bread.