Chapter 3: Exposed

It was past closing period. Only the parents were in school with some teachers. Boma and Eric were still in their kneeling positions.  

“What did you do? Haven’t I told you to stop fighting with other kids? I can’t believe you brought this rough attitude to school!” Eric’s mum, Alicia, slapped him at the back of his head.

“I didn’t do anything, I swear.” He was brittle in crocodile tears. “I just bumped into Alex while going to the toilet, and he fell. I mean, it was just a coincidence that Alex fell at that exact time. He hit his head on the wall and we couldn’t save him.”

“Is it true?” The assistant head teacher questioned Boma, who was the only witness to the scene.

‘I ought to make a plan.’ A thought reckoned in Boma’s head. ‘For our good.’

“Yes.” He nodded in fear of being exposed. It would be such a shame if their parents and teachers knew what happened. Boma squeezed his eyes shut and wiped his face with his right hand. The situation was getting tough. “We didn’t even touch him.”

Bunmi hasn’t gone home because Mr. John usually picks her up and Alex from school. She awaited them outside the headteacher’s office.

“It’s a lie!” Bunmi interrupted once she stepped into the head teacher’s office.

“Eric punched Alex’s jaw. He fell and started bleeding through his ear.”

“What?” They turned to Bunmi with dropped jaws.

“Yes. Everyone in his class bullies him. They call him names like Parasite, and the driver’s son. They hate him so much.” Bunmi explained.

Alicia turned to her son, Eric. Her eyes pierced his soul like an arrow, his heart raced on his kneeling spot.

“So you lied?” Alicia fumed at her son with raised eyebrows. She sighed and placed a hand over her long, braided hair. “This is unbelievable! How do I deal with you? Your dad would definitely hear about this!”

“No mum, Bunmi is lying, I swear! She came after Alex fell. She didn’t witness the incident.” Eric begged and turned to Bunmi with a glare. “Stop lying!”

Unmoved, Bunmi scorned Eric and frowned at his pretence. He didn't frighten her a bit.

Watching them, Alicia's right hand tightened in a fist and she smacked cut against her other palm. Alicia's fit tapped the tiled ground lightly, while she though of a way to punish her son. Quitting his education would influence his future, else? She would have sent him to learn a vocational skill after his basic Education, instead of letting Eric study like his mates in a school.

“And why would I lie?” Bunmi threw at him and faced Mr. Bello.  “Ask anyone in his class and you’ll see.”

The parents and teachers had lopsided grimaces on their sweaty faces. Mr. Bello paced up and down, with deep thoughts on the issue.

Mrs. Alicia chewed on the inside of her cheek while deciding whether to report to Eric’s dad or not. Eric’s dad who was a diplomat, resides in the United States, and only visits and stays in Nigeria one week a month. “This is upsetting!” She grabbed her front hair again, in confusion. 

“They’re bullies. Ugh... I wonder how Alex is faring.” Bunmi mumbled to clear the air. She scrutinized, studying the expression on the adults' faces, to determine their opinion.

“Why did you lie?” Eric asked Boma with his eyes.

“To save our ass!” Eric gasped. “You better play along or take the blame.”