Chapter 9: Left in the Lurch

"Fine, call the lawyer because there is no time on our side."Mr. Felix grumbled with a curled lip and clenched jaw.

Without wasting time, Mr. John dialed the lawyer's contact and invited him over. It only took twenty minutes to get to the Williams' house. With the will at hand, Barrister Frank entered and greeted everyone generously. Then, he brought out a stapled brown envelope and showed that they properly sealed it before tearing it open. Barrister Frank started reading the will.

Felix's feet tapped against the tiled floor as he impatiently listened to the reading. The will was written five years ago.

"I, Mr. Thomas Williams grant two million naira to my loyal worker, Mr. John, and his family, while all of my assets and properties go to my only daughter, Olabunmi Soledad Williams. Although." he paused, watching the curious reaction on their faces. "Although, she won't be able to fully take over the company until she reaches the age of 18. Her legal guardian remains Mr. Mayowa and Mrs. Rebecca John."

"Aargh! I know that this will happen. You strategized a plan with a local tout! This quack of a lawyer to read a fake document in order to inherit my sweat and hard work?"

"No o, it's not like that." Mr. John wanted to say more, but his wife blinked her eyes and nodded negatively at him, so he didn't.

"How can this little girl? This little girl of seven inherit all these? You aren't even family and you succeed in earning two million naira? Don't you get paid as you work here?"

"It's only natural that Mr. John bequeathed such an amount." Barrister Felix clarified. "He worked for this family since they got married ten years ago. This document had been willed five years ago, sir. And only Mr. Williams himself can change it or the rightful heir."

"Shut up, you fool!" Felix hissed with a raised hand at the barrister. As his face contorted with rage, his teeth bared. And the barrister raised both hands in self defense.

About to hit him hard on the face, but he halted as if scared of facing the consequences. "I sponsored Williams instead of myself. I am practically his father and there's nothing for me to take after. Not even this house? The devil is a lier, this must be a dream."

"Hey, Barrister Frank, or whatever you call yourself! Leave here and never come back again." Mr. Felix instructed. His face thundered cloud.

"B...but sir, I'm only doing my job. It was Mr. William's will and wishes. Respect them, sir," the barrister persuaded, packing his papers.

Mr. Felix trusted him out forcefully out of the house and banged the glass door. It creaked, but he didn't completely shatter. It took the will of God.

"I should be in nothing but wealth. Williams didn't even sponsor my kids. He left us forgotten in the village. What a heartless goat! I wonder who he takes after." Mr. Felix felt miserable trying narrated his ordeal to be accepted by his younger brother. "And on top of all his suffering and sacrifices, Williams died."

Gulping down a mouth full of juice to calm his nerves, Mr. Felix gripped the glass in his hand. His first thought was to throw it to the floor and smash it, but he knew if he did that, he wouldn't stop until every glass in the house was in shards.

Rebecca looked away from her husband, John, and dragged her legs out of the Williams mansion. The more Felix fumed, the smaller she made herself.

“Daddy Dara, no need to get worked up." His wife, Mrs Felix, forced herself to say. "There are more important things we can accomplish in our lives. Just let it go.”

With the way her voice cracked, one would have thought she was crying a storm, but she didn't shed a tear. Instead, Yemisi did. She cried an ocean of crocodile tears.