I Get a Makeover

Theo's POV

Guilty. That's how I feel right now.

Guilty that I caused my father's death.

Guilty that I caused my best friend's death.

Now I'm guilty of leaving Percy and Tyson to die.

Annabeth and I had managed to make a makeshift sail stitched of gray uniform fabric. I dug around the lifeboat, hoping for a compartment that would house supplies.

I didn't know much about lifeboats. All the knowledge I had about them was from the Life of Pi audiobook that I found last year. But usually, lifeboats would have enough supplies for at least 15 people.

But I didn't find any. I guess zombie sailors didn't need supplies.

Annabeth showed me some things she'd salvaged from the wreckage—Hermes's thermos (now empty), a Ziploc bag full of ambrosia, a couple of sailors' shirts, and a bottle of Dr Pepper. We had found half of Percy's duffel bag.

I dropped my head as Annabeth tacked in the wind using the makeshift sail.

Annabeth: Maybe they survived. I mean, fire can't kill Tyson, and Percy might've managed to escape Scylla.

I just shook my head, not believing what she was saying. Even if Tyson managed to survive the explosion, he'd still be stranded in the middle of the ocean with nothing to keep him afloat. And even by some miracle Percy managed to escape Scylla's grasp, he'd be in the same position as Tyson.

If monsters in the sea didn't kill them, their own tiredness would. They can only keep themselves afloat for so long.

Theo: It's my fault.

Annabeth looked at me quizzically.

Theo: I let them die. I guess it's the only thing I'm good at.

Annabeth: Don't. It's not your fault. You didn't get them killed.

Theo: (scoffs) Yeah? Well, tell that to Eric and Alexios.

Annabeth: (confused) Who's Alexios?

Right. I didn't tell her about my dreams.

I told Annabeth about the first half of my dream, which I saw before I saved her from those giants in Pennsylvania. Then I told her the second half, which I saw before we encountered Charybdis and Scylla.

I then told her about what Hermes told me about what Artemis did after Alexios died.

Annabeth stayed silent as I explained. By the time I finished, she just stared at me as if she was trying to find the right words to say.

Annabeth: I...I'm sorry.

Theo: It's not your fault. It's mine. I'm a deadly distraction.

Annabeth: You were a baby, Theo. You didn't know what was happening. You can't keep blaming yourself for something that was completely out of your control. And don't you blame yourself for what happened to Eric, either. I knew him for 5 years before he died, and I could tell you that he wouldn't have blamed you, either. And neither would Alexios.

I lowered my head in shame. She was right, as always, but I couldn't just shake off the guilt I've been feeling.

Annabeth put her hand on my cheek, forcing me to look into her storm-grey eyes.

Annabeth: You're not a distraction, Theo. If anything, you're the best anything that ever happened in Alexios' life. You're one of the best friends I've ever had since Thalia and Luke. And I know David would be proud of you no matter what.