I Lose Someone Else

Percy's POV

So, I think I might've screwed up big time.

After Theo and Annabeth left me behind to dance, I walked around the gym, mingling. And what do I see? Dr. Thorn hurrying out a door at the opposite end of the gym while steering the di Angelo kids by the scruffs of their necks, like kittens.

Instead of getting my friends for help, I decided to go after them alone...You know, like an idiot.

I found Bianca and Nico locked in one of the classrooms. Before I could react, a large spike (courtesy of Dr. Thorn) ended up in my shoulder.

I didn't know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, but he was fast.

Now, Dr. Thorn was taking us into the woods. I tried to slow us down by pretending that my shoulder hurt, but he didn't buy it. So, I had to use my empathy link with Grover and hope he and the others show up in time.

Dr. Thorn: There is a clearing ahead. We will summon your ride.

Bianca: What ride? Where are you taking us?

Dr. Thorn: Silence, you insufferable girl.

Nico: Don't talk to my sister that way.

His voice quivered, but I was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all.

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, but I forced myself to keep walking and pretend I was being a good little captive. Meanwhile, I projected my thoughts like crazy—anything to get Grover's attention.

Dr. Thorn: Halt.

The woods had opened up. We'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. At least, I sensed the sea was down there, hundreds of feet below. I could hear the waves churning and I could smell the cold salty froth. But all I could see was mist and darkness.

Dr. Thorn pushed us toward the edge. I stumbled, and Bianca caught me.

Percy: (whispers) Thanks.

Bianca: (whispers) What is he? How do we fight him?

Percy: (whispers) I...I'm working on it.

Nico: (whispers) I'm scared.

He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

Dr. Thorn: Stop talking! Face me!

Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first, I thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button.

Dr. Thorn: The package—it is ready to deliver.

There was a garbled reply, and I realized Thorn was in walkie-talkie mode. This seemed way too modern and creepy—a monster using a mobile phone.

I glanced behind me, wondering how far the drop was.

Dr. Thorn: (laughs) By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump! There is the sea. Save yourself.

Bianca: (whispers) What did he call you?

Percy: (whispers) I'll explain later.

Bianca: (whispers) You do have a plan, right?

Maybe I could get both the di Angelos to jump with me into the ocean. If we survived the fall, I could use the water to protect us. I'd done things like that before. If my dad was in a good mood, and listening, he might help. Maybe.