The Return of a Familiar Face

Theo's POV

We set up a two-block perimeter, with a command tent at the Empire State Building. Chiron informed us that the Party Ponies had sent chapters from almost every state in the Union: forty from California, two from Rhode Island, thirty from Illinois...Roughly five hundred total had answered his call, but even with that many, we couldn't defend more than a few blocks.

I told them what I did when he separated from us. Thalia loudly winced when I mentioned that the Mercedes was wrecked as I arrived at the Peace Fountain.

I said that he got the idea of getting Orion high up in the air to weaken him from Percy when he killed Antaeus, another son of Gaea, last year in the Labyrinth. Annabeth and Grover squealed in fright and Chiron widened his eyes in shock when I said that Orion and I had flown about 20,000 feet in the air, but they were all relieved when I told them that I had finally killed Orion by decapitating him.

Of course, I left out what Orion said to me before I killed him.

After a round of Grover and Percy geeking out about how badass I was, followed by a difficult session of extreme scolding from Thalia, Zoe, and Annabeth, Chiron finally spoke.

Chiron: I must say, it was extremely reckless of you, Theo...However, I am glad that you have finally ended that chapter of your story.

Theo: Yeah, so am I.

Annabeth leaned her head against my shoulder.

Theo: It's a good thing you and your buddies showed up when you did, Chiron.

Chiron: (shrugs) I'm sorry it took so long. Centaurs travel fast, as you know. We can bend distance as we ride. Even so, getting all the centaurs together was no easy task. The Party Ponies are not exactly organized.

Zoe: How did you get through the magic defenses around the city?

Chiron: They slowed us down a bit, but I think they're intended mostly to keep mortals out. Kronos doesn't want puny humans getting in the way of his great victory.

Percy: So maybe other reinforcements can get through.

Chiron: Perhaps, though time is short. As soon as Kronos regroups, he will attack again. Without the element of surprise on our side...

I understood what he meant. Kronos wasn't beaten. Not by a long shot. I half hoped Kronos had been squashed under that Hyperborean giant's butt, but I knew better. He'd be back, tonight at the latest.

Theo: And Typhon?

Chiron: The gods are tiring. Dionysus was incapacitated yesterday. Typhon smashed his chariot, and the wine god went down somewhere m the Appalachians. No one has seen him since. Hephaestus is out of action as well. He was thrown from the battle so hard he created a new lake in West Virginia. He will heal, but not soon enough to help. The others still fight. They've managed to slow Typhon's approach. But the monster cannot be stopped. He will arrive in New York by this time tomorrow. Once he and Kronos combine forces—

Percy: Then what chance do we have? We can't hold out another day.

Thalia: We'll have to. I'll see about setting some new traps around the perimeter.

She looked exhausted. Her jacket was smeared in grime and monster dust, but she managed to get to her feet and stagger off.

Chiron: I will help her. I should make sure my brethren don't go too overboard with the root beer.

I thought "too overboard" pretty much summed up the Party Ponies, but Chiron cantered off.

Percy: Zoe and I'll leave you guys alone.