We Dive Back into the Darkness

Theo's POV

Just after dawn, the quest group met at Zeus's Fist. I'd packed my knapsack—thermos with nectar, baggie of ambrosia, bedroll, rope, clothes, flashlights, and lots of extra batteries. I had a fresh set of clothes as well as the Hunter jacket Zoe gave me yesterday. I also had my sword, bow, quiver, bracers, and Adidas shoes (which are now cleaned up).

It was a clear morning. The fog had burned off and the sky was blue. Campers would be having their lessons today, flying Pegasi and practicing archery and scaling the lava wall. Meanwhile, we could be heading underground.

Before leaving, I dropped Diego off at the Ares cabin and asked Clarisse to take care of him while I'm gone. I had a hard time getting Diego to let go of me, but I managed by promising to see him again soon.

Juniper and Grover stood apart from the group. Juniper had been crying again, but she was trying to keep it together for Grover's sake. She kept fussing with his clothes, straightening his rasta cap and brushing goat fur off his shirt. Since we had no idea what we would encounter, he was dressed as a human, with the cap to hide his horns, and jeans, fake feet, and sneakers to hide his goat legs.

Chiron, Quintus, and Mrs. O'Leary stood with the other campers who'd come to wish us well, but there was too much activity for it to feel like a happy send-off. A couple of tents had been set up by the rocks for guard duty. Beckendorf and his siblings were working on a line of defensive spikes and trenches. Chiron had decided we needed to guard the Labyrinth exit at all times, just in case.

Zoe had her Hunter jacket, as well as her bow and knife. I guess you can take Zoe out of the Hunters, but you can't take the Hunter out of Zoe.

Annabeth was doing one last check on her supply pack when we saw Tyson and Percy walking over.

Theo: You look like shit, Percy.

Tyson: He killed the water fountain last night.

Theo: Huh?

Before we could get an explanation, Chiron trotted over.

Chiron: Well, it appears you are ready!

He tried to sound upbeat, but I could tell he was anxious.

Percy: Hey, uh, Chiron, can I ask you a favor while I'm gone?

Chiron: Of course, my boy.

Percy: Be right back, guys.

Percy and Chiron walked into the woods.

Zoe: What would Percy want to discuss with Chiron?

Theo: It's gotta be something important if they're walking out of earshot to talk about it.

Percy's POV

Chiron raised an eyebrow, but he followed me out of earshot.

Percy: Last night, I dreamed about Luke and Kronos.

I told him the details. The news seemed to weigh on his shoulders.

Chiron: I feared this. Against my father, Kronos, we would stand no chance in a fight.

Chiron rarely called Kronos his father. I mean, we all knew it was true. Everybody in the Greek world—god, monster, or Titan—was related to one another somehow. But it wasn't exactly something Chiron liked to brag about. Oh, my dad is the all-powerful evil Titan lord who wants to destroy Western Civilization. I want to be just like him when I grow up!