I Get a Ride from My Uncle

Theo's POV

Artemis assured us that dawn was coming, but you could've fooled me. It was colder and darker and snowier than ever. Up on the hill, Westover Hall's windows were completely lightless. I wondered if the teachers had even noticed the di Angelos and Dr. Thorn were missing yet. I didn't want to be around when they did. All it takes is one person to mention Percy Jackson's name on national television, and all of a sudden, he's a terrorist.

The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they'd set it up. Percy stood shivering in the snow (unlike the Hunters, who didn't seem to feel at all uncomfortable, like I was), and Artemis stared into the east like she was expecting something. Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. I could tell from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt. I couldn't help thinking how selfish it was of her, abandoning her brother like that.

Thalia and Grover came up and huddled around me and Percy, anxious to hear what had happened in our audience with the goddess.

When we told them, Grover turned pale.

Grover: The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well. And you're really just going to let them have cabin 8 for themselves, Theo?

Theo: I didn't want to risk pissing off some immortal warriors who could kill me in my sleep, so I'm staying in Percy's cabin.

Percy: How'd they even show up here? I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere.

Thalia: And Bianca joined them. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck-up, no-good bitch. (turns to Theo) I don't care that she might've saved your life, that's all she is.

Grover: Who can blame her? Eternity with Artemis?

Thalia: (rolls her eyes) You satyrs. You're all in love with Artemis. Don't you get that she'll never love you back?

Grover: But she's so...into nature.

Thalia: You're nuts.

Grover: Nuts and berries. Yeah.

Thalia: (sighs, then turns to Theo) What about you? You really think she actually knows who took David?

Theo: You didn't see the look on her face when she read the note, Thalia. She definitely knows who did it, and it terrifies her.

Percy: I don't get it. Who else apart from Kronos could scare a god?

Thalia, Grover, and I shared a look, knowing the answer.

Theo: Someone who managed to hurt said god way worse than any monster ever could.

Percy widened his eyes a bit, realizing what I meant.

Finally, the sky began to lighten.

Artemis: About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter.

Percy: You're, um, waiting for sunrise?

Artemis: For my brother. Yes.

Percy looked confused.

Artemis: It's not exactly as you think.

Percy: Oh, okay. So, it's not like he'll be pulling up in a—

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth.

Artemis: Don't look. Not until he parks.

Parks?

I averted my eyes and saw that the other kids were doing the same. The light and warmth intensified until my winter coat felt like it was melting off of me. Then suddenly the light died.