I Battle the Cheerleading Squad

Percy's POV

Sneaking into orientation didn't work out too well. Two cheerleaders in purple-and-white uniforms were standing at the side entrance, waiting to ambush freshmen.

Cheerleaders: Hi!

They smiled, which I figured was the first and last time any cheerleaders would be that friendly to me. One was blond with icy blue eyes. The other was African American with dark curly hair like Medusa's (and believe me, I know what I'm talking about). Both girls had their names stitched in cursive on their uniforms, but with my dyslexia, the words looked like meaningless spaghetti.

Blonde: Welcome to Goode. You are so going to love it.

But as she looked me up and down, her expression said something more like, "Eww, who is this loser?"

The other girl stepped uncomfortably close to me. I studied the stitching on her uniform and made out Kelli. She smelled like roses and something else I recognized from riding lessons at camp—the scent of freshly washed horses. It was a weird smell for a cheerleader. Maybe she owned a horse or something. Anyway, she stood so close I got the feeling she was going to try to push me down the steps.

Kelli: What's your name, fish?

Percy: Fish?

Kelli: Freshman.

Percy: Uh, Percy.

The girls exchanged looks.

Blonde: Oh, Percy Jackson. We've been waiting for you.

That put out a red flag in my head. They were blocking the entrance, smiling in a not-very-friendly way. My hand crept instinctively toward my pocket, where I kept my lethal ballpoint pen, Riptide.

???: Percy?

It was Paul Blofis, somewhere down the hallway. I'd never been so glad to hear his voice.

The cheerleaders backed off. I was so anxious to get past them I accidentally kneed Kelli in the thigh.

CLANG!

Her leg made a hollow, metallic sound, like I'd just hit a flagpole.

Kelli: OW! Watch it, fish!

I glanced down, but her leg looked like a regular old leg. I was too freaked out to ask questions. I dashed into the hall, the cheerleaders laughing behind me.

Paul: There you are! Welcome to Goode!

Percy: Hey, Paul—uh, Mr. Blofis.

I glanced back, but the weird cheerleaders had disappeared.

Paul: Percy, you look like you've seen a ghost.

Percy: Yeah, uh—

Paul clapped me on the back.

Paul: Listen, I know you're nervous, but don't worry. We get a lot of kids here with ADHD and dyslexia. The teachers know how to help.

I almost wanted to laugh. If only ADHD and dyslexia were my biggest worries. I mean, I knew Paul was trying to help, but if I told him the truth about me, he'd either think I was crazy or he'd run away screaming. Those cheerleaders, for instance. I had a bad feeling about them...

Then I looked down the hall, and I remembered I had another problem. The redheaded girl I'd seen on the front steps was just coming into the main entrance.

And she noticed me, and her eyes widened.

Shit.

Percy: (to Paul) Where's the orientation?