CHAPTER 12 | It's my fault

Veronica's POV

I woke up to a knock on my bedroom door. I rush to the door and unlock it to see Uncle Diego.

I run into his arms and he hugs me.

"It's okay, Veronica" he says quietly, while I just sob into his arms.

Funny that's what everyone keeps saying, but then they all end up dead.

"Lets go, Diabla" He says gently.

"..wait" I say quietly.

I walk over to Sparky and grab his cage.

He pulls me up and helps me walk with one arm around me.

Everytime we walk past a body or even some blood, I can't help but squeeze my eyes shut.

Once we make it outside we get in his car, he leads me into the backseat and sits in the backseat with me.

He signals the driver something and we drive off.

I can't help but zone out thinking about if I only walked in his study, something else could have happened.

Maybe all those people wouldn't be dead.

Its my fault.

Diego's POV

It wasn't too long after me and Miguel left my father's house.

When we arrived at my home in Portugal , Miguel went to his room and I could hear him slamming his door from all the way downstairs.

Miguel has always been in a mood most of the time, but this past couple weeks it's been terrible.

When I first found out my niece Veronica came back, I had to go see with my own eyes. And I obviously brought Miguel because when they were younger they were both like two peas in a pod, but when Veronica was 5 and Miguel was 6, Me and Valentina, my sister, had a really bad argument about her fiance, Ricardo. I never saw them both again.

Valentina passed away when Veronica was eleven, and I didnt want to disrespect Valentina's wishes by seeing her daughter without her permission.

But when my father told me that Veronica was living with him I couldn't hold back, I had to see her.

I was even more shocked when I found out that Veronica killed her step father by stabbing him nineteen times. Before I had the argument with Valentina, Ricardo always seemed like a good step-dad, so I didn't really understand why she killed him, only Veronica and Abuelo happened that day.

When we first saw Veronica in over a decade, she didn't even recognise who we were. But I suppose it was understandable. It was just upsetting, especially knowing that Miguel and I used to be very close.

I don't really know why Miguel has such a grudge with Veronica now , pretty sure it's something like she left him? I can obviously see Veronica trying to get along with him, but being my son, he obviously just ignores her like she's a disease.

Currently I am sitting in my office minding my business, making calls to other mafia associates. The only one who doesn't know about the mafia is Veronica. Even Miguel knows about all of the mafias. Miguel is the heir to the Portuguese mafia, and Veronica is the heiress to the Spanish mafia, so it is going to be challenging to slowly introduce her to the mafia.

My eyes snap to my phone when I hear a loud ringing, I check the caller ID and see father calling me.

I let it ring before i Finally answered.

"Hello, father." I say.

"Uncle, Diego! I need your help, Please Abuelo is dead! Please come back!" Veronica begs.

What? My father is Dead?

"Veronica, are you okay?" I question calmly.

"Yes! I'm fine, but Abuelo isn't. Please come back!" She responds frantactly.

"I'm coming, Veronica," I say.

I cut the line.

My father is dead.

I swear to Satan, whoever killed my father, will pay.

~~~

Thank you for reading!!

~ anya ~