CHAPTER 48 | Mama?

TW- This chapter contains veryy graphic scenes. If you might find them triggering, I advise you not to read this chapter.

 If you might find them triggering, I advise you not to read this chapter

Veronica's POV

My eyes fluttered open slowly, greeted by the warmth of the sun on my face and the soft comfort of the duvet wrapped snugly around me. Confusion flooded my senses as I took in my surroundings, realising I was in my own bed, in my own room.

For a moment, I lay there, trying to make sense of it all. Had it all been a dream? The cold, sterile room, the restraints, the fear—had it all been a figment of my imagination?

But as I glanced around, everything seemed familiar, reassuringly so. The familiar sight of my room, the soft glow of sunlight filtering through the curtains—it was all too real to be a dream.

Slowly, I pushed myself up into a sitting position, the events of the previous night flooding back to me. The phone call from Roman, the warning about the Morroto's, and then... darkness.

Panic gripped me as I realised that it hadn't been a dream. I had been captured, restrained, held captive by the Morroto's. But now, somehow, I was back in my own room, safe and sound.

How had I gotten here? And more importantly, where was Roman?

My mind raced with questions, but for the moment, I pushed them aside, focusing instead on the present. I was safe, at least for now, and I needed to make the most of it.

With a deep breath, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood up, my limbs feeling weak and shaky beneath me. But I refused to let fear paralyse me. I needed to find out what had happened, to make sense of the chaos that had unfolded.

With determination coursing through me, I made my way out of the room, ready to face whatever lay ahead. One thing was certain—this was far from over, and I was prepared to fight for my freedom, no matter what it took.

I walked down the hall, the echoes of my footsteps the only sound in the empty house. As I reached Marcus' and Noah's room, I pushed open the door, but the sight that greeted me was one of emptiness. The beds were neatly made, the room devoid of any sign of life.

Panic surged within me as I realised they weren't there. Where could they be? Were they safe?

With a sense of urgency, I rushed out of their rooms and continued down the hall, my heart pounding in my chest. I checked each room, but they were all empty, the silence oppressive in its weight.

Desperation gnawed at me as I searched, my mind racing with possibilities. Had they been taken too? Or had they managed to escape?

As I reached the end of the hall, I paused, my breath coming in ragged gasps. There was no sign of them, no clue as to where they might be.

With a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, I realised that I was alone in the house. Fear and uncertainty washed over me as I considered the implications of their absence.