Chaos

Kenny stopped by the Park County orphanage to drop off his bi-annual donation when a familiar laugh caught his attention.

Y/N was on the playground out back playing with the kids. He didn't know she was a volunteer, and seeing her be so good with them made her even more attractive to him.

Kenny walked onto the playground and the kids jumped up and ran to him talking over each other.

"Hey guys, what's going on?"

"Y/N's playing Chinpokomon with us!" Sally gushed, "I'm Lambtron and she's Vamporko!"

The other kids went on to mention which creatures they were playing as and that they were trying to save the city from the 'evil power'. He remembered playing Chinpokomon when he was younger and smiled at the fond memory.

"Wow Y/N I didn't know you were secretly an ultra-supreme master!"

"It's my alternate life," she teased, "by day I'm a brew house waitress and by night I plot to overthrow the American government."

"Correction," Kenny added, "a beautiful brew house waitress."

"Booo!" Billy yelled, "You suck at picking up girls."

"Guys!" Allison ran over struggling to catch her breath. "You guys, I heard Mayor McDaniels is going to put up the Mysterion symbol in the sky tonight!"

While the kids cheered, Y/N's face fell causing Kenny concern. His vigilantism was a split topic in the town. Some believe he was a symbol for the town and others thought of him as a menace. He didn't expect Y/N to be on the opposing side.

"You don't like Mysterion?"

"Not particularly."

"How could you hate Mysterion?!" Allison said in disbelief. "He's a hero! He brings the bad guys to justice!"

"The county judge brings bad guys to justice," she reminded them gently.

"But he's got a cool costume!"

She rolled her eyes with a teasing smile, "Capes are so early two thousands."

Kenny made a mental note about the cape.

...

After much protest, the kids had gone inside for bedtime leaving him and Y/N alone sitting on the swings as the last of the sun had set.

"How long have you been volunteering here?"

"When I first moved. I did in my last town too. It's as close as I think I'll ever get to having any kids. I just don't see it happening."

"Oh?" Kenny leaned over raising a coy eyebrow, "I can make that happen."

She teasingly punched his arm. And he rubbed it in fake pain.

"I'm just really busy outside of work. I don't think I could keep up with that life."

Kenny's mind went back to Mysterion and how hard it would be to juggle a kid on top of his double life. If his identity were ever discovered his loved ones would be in danger which is partly why he never got into serious relationships. But lately against his better judgment, he had been thinking about developing something serious with Y/N.

"I know what you mean."

There was a bout of silence while he braced his ego for rejection.

"So what's your hang-up with Mysterion?"

"Everybody loves Mysterion," she rolled her eyes, "I just think he's a little too full of himself. He fights under the guise of selflessness but who is he to judge who should get a second chance? Some people just don't deserve a luxury like that. Anyone can play superhero. He's just a regular guy in a mask."