Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

Matáo and Wilhelm stood before the Consul of Elders trying to explain what had happened at Echo. The elders spoke slowly and took their time breaching any subject. Every time that Matáo or Wilhelm would begin to speak, one or more of the elders would interrupt them by asking strange or off subject questions. Wilhelm was used to their behavior, but Matáo was starting to get annoyed.

"As I have tried to say at least three times, my family and some friends had gone on a picnic, and afterwards some of us went on a hunt," said Matáo, in an irritated voice. "What did you eat?" asked one of the elders. "What were you trying to hunt?" asked another. "It doesn't matter!" yelled Matáo angrily, interrupting another as he spoke. "The point is, and what I've been trying to tell you is that, why we were away, our village was attacked by men wearing crimson colored armor and the man leading them wore a cloak of the same color," he concluded.

"Forgive my young companion, Grand Master. He is unfamiliar with our ways and has little understanding of the way things are done here," said Wilhelm, stepping in front of Matáo and kneeling before the Council Elders. "He is but a child and knows nothing of the manors of court. I beg your forgiveness on his behalf, and ask that the rudeness he has shown would be overlooked and that you allow him to speak freely, " begged Wilhelm.

"Very well, Master Wilhelm, he may speak, but I warn him and you, he must not repeat his discretion, or there will be consequences," said Grand Master Da'vid. He then addressed Matáo and asked, "The man with the cloak, was there a symbol of an hourglass on it?" "It was dark, Grand Master, and I was barely within listening distance, but I did see an image on the cloak. I cannot be certain if it was an hourglass, but did I see that it was colored in gold," replied Matáo respectfully.

"Thank you for your testimony young man, and thank you for your rudeness," said Grand Master Da'vid. He continued, "We ourselves are unaccustomed to the ways of the world outside of our walls. We have been here many years and rarely entertain people that are not a part of our order. You are the first outsider to stand before this Council in nearly five hundred years. I suspect that if you are to come before us again, you will have learned more of our formalities. Now, go and return to your comrades, we must speak with Master Wilhelm in private. We will summon you all when the time is right."

Matáo returned to his room to see everyone there. The stress of the last couple of days was weighing heavy on his mind. He went to the basin and washed his face and hands, not knowing how dirty he had become. He felt a little embarrassed to have appeared before the Council looking as he did. After he washed, he realized that he hadn't eaten in nearly a day, so he got some food from the table and went to his bed.

He began to tell the others about his meeting with the council and how annoying they were at first. After his tale, he decided that he needed some rest. "Grand Master Da'vid said that he would summon us when the time was right. I don't know how long that means, but after all we've been through, I think we should all try and get some sleep," said Matáo as he stretched out across his bed.

The others agreed and the girls returned to their room. Jäkob began asking Matáo questions about the council members. He had become very curious about the magic users now that he was one. "Do you think they will teach me to use magic here?" he asked. "I don't know little brother," said Matáo, "I do not pretend to know what their plans entail. Get some rest Jäkob. I believe that we are going to need it before too long."

Jäkob nodded and went to his bed. He hadn't noticed his exhaustion until after he laid down. He closed his eyes and the sights and sounds of the past few days filled his head. His mood began to lighten as he remembered his party and the making of his bow. He remembered the dragon that Matáo had carved into the handle. He drifted off to sleep with the image of it still on his mind, and he began to dream.