Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

Prince Ryan had joined Nìa and the others when they returned to the Sanctum. He was granted permission from the council to peruse the libraries of the Order; in order to find anything new, to himself, or anything that may have been lost in time about the relics of his family crest. He had been there nearly a fortnight and hadn't found anything substantial. He spent long hours at a time searching for anything he could on the subject. When he found anything at all, he would write it down in a leather bound book that he kept all of his personal notes about the relics.

When he wasn't studying, he was being entertained by Nìa. She gave him a tour of the Sanctum, though she wasn't aware of all its secrets, and had only entered a select few of the rooms. She was by no means an expert on the Sanctum, but enjoyed the time he spent with her while she tried her best to show him around. She was always a little nervous around him and flirted with him often, and Ryan seemed to feel a little happier each time she was around.

He had went to meet Wiɳdwyrɱ on his second day there and had returned a few times since. He, like Jäkob and Chloé, was fascinated by the creatures and he wanted to learn all that he could in his short visit to the Sanctum. The second time had gone to see him, Ryan brought some parchment and a charcoal stick so he could attempt to make a drawing of him. Wiɳdwyrɱ and Jäkob had offered to let him fly with them, but Ryan refused for the time being, but he did want to take them up on their offer before he left.

When Ryan had first arrived at the Sanctum, his father had given him instructions to find out all he could about the enemy that had been terrorizing the northern parts kingdom. Little was known about him and there had been no people that had been left behind to report anything about him. The elders were being very closed lips on the subject and he wasn't finding anything in his research either. It was beginning to infuriate him that the Order was being so secretive about this enemy.

Every time he found any references that may contain information about the unknown enemy, the pages in the book, or sections of scrolls or parchments were missing. He began to wonder what, about this enemy, could have the council so frightened that they have erased the traces of his existence.

He only had a few more days at the Sanctum, and today he didn't feel much like reading. He had spent most of his time, while at the Sanctum, away from his new friends and he felt like he should spend at least one day with them. Jeremiah had just returned with Master U'lias and Protector Thomas Bridgewater, from the palace.

He went to greet them, and afterwards, he was briefed on what was transpiring at the palace, along with all of the reinforcements that had been done. The two of them were only there for a short time, but they wanted to fill the prince in on what was happening. He learned that the palace had been fortified again and was prepared for an attack. He learned that scouts had been sent out to report the enemy movements. The reports showed that the enemy was rebuilding the city of Oaken Meadow, and there were no signs of them advancing any further.

Other reports stated that there were twelve different legions of soldiers that had made attacks on the same night. The cities in the northern territories had been sacked and all of the people had vanished. The cities were all left burning and abandoned. Some of the newest reports claimed that all of the legions had made their way to Oaken Meadow and were currently stationed there, assisting with the rebuilding efforts. Ryan was disheartened by the news, but his mood was lightened when he heard that the king was planning an attack at Oaken Meadow, and that Thomas and Jeremiah were to lead the charge.

*****

The wind raced through Jäkob's hair as Wiɳdwyrɱ dove down through the clouds. He was tethered to the saddle by a leather strap attached to his waist. They were going so fast that his legs began to slip from the stirrups and his backside had lifted off the saddle. The first time that it happened, Jäkob began to panic, but Wiɳdwyrɱ calmed him down and for the first few flights together, he tried not to fly so fast.