Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty-two

Jeremiah and his men on horseback had begun surrounding the city of Oaken Meadow from the northern road. It had taken them nearly four days to get near enough to attack the city. Protector Bridgewater had informed him and his men of the defenses that he had prepared before he and the rest of the city had fled to the capital city. They were cautious that Claremont's forces had repurposed the traps and they approached the city carefully to avoid any new ones that may have been put in place.

He had made contact with Matáo and Jameson Truwood, the only members of the Brotherhood to head into this battle. He used devices that were similar to the ones that Jäkob had made, that Wilhelm had crafted for them. The three armies had the city surrounded on three sides. Truwood and Erík divided their forces and sent most of the men on foot upstream of the city to carefully cross the Kilgor river and were ready for an attack on anyone who tried to flee across the river. A small contingent of archers guarded the ferry as well.

Since Matáo had no formal military training, he was sent with Ködú for the purpose of communicating with the other two regiments. At first, Ködú was against Matáo joining his ranks, but Truwood, who had trained him, spoke highly of his skills. Prince Ködú arranged a sparring match with some of his guards so that Matáo could prove himself before they left for battle. Matáo, laughingly agreed to the match, and in only a few minutes, he disarmed his three assailants.

Prince Ködú was moderately impressed by the display, but after both Jeremiah and Truwood explained that Matáo was toying with the guards and could have easily done the same in half the time, he was even more impressed. He then asked Matáo if he would spar against himself. Matáo grudgingly agreed to, as he put it, "play with the prince."

The prince picked one of the practice swords up and met Matáo in the training ring. "I hear you were playing with my guards and your trainer tells me that you could do the same against me. Is that so?" asked Ködú. "I am uncertain of the outcome of this match. I have yet to see you fight, but I am happy to oblige you, My Prince," replied Matáo as he raised his practice sword.

Ködú began with a flurry of attacks. His sword was quick, but Matáo countered each of his blows. The prince advanced, causing Matáo to step back on the defensive. Matáo matched the prince's pace equally. The two swung their swords, neither gaining an advantage. Matáo began to see a pattern in the prince's attacks. Once he discovered the pattern, it became easier for him to discern what was coming next.

He knew he had to time his counter perfectly. He counted to himself, marking the pattern in his head. "One," a strike from overhead. "Two," a downward swing to the mid section from the right. "Three," another swing in the middle but from the left side moving upwards. Finally, "Four," another strike from above. He waited for three before he spun around the prince to the right. The prince's sword nearly struck Matáo in the gut. Matáo stepped in behind the prince and grabbed him with one hand. He brought his sword up to the prince's throat with the other.

Ködú dropped his toy sword. He clapped his hands together and said, "Well done Matáo. That was fun. I haven't been bested like that since my baby brother Ryan tricked me in a match as children." "Thank you, My Prince," said Matáo, as he placed his fist over his chest and nodded his head towards him. He had seen this done and hoped that it would please the prince.

Ködú smiled and nodded in return. "Please, call me Ködú. Out here, and on the field of battle, I see no need for the formalities that palace life entails." "As you wish, My Prince. I mean, Ködú," said Matáo, and the prince turned away and said, "Come, we must prepare for battle." Matáo and the others followed suit.