two

The car ride to the newest exhibit is beautiful... and boring. No matter how hard I try to keep my eyes open, they keep drifting closed. Soon, the passing flora turns into a mass of green and I allow my eyes to rest for a moment.

Three Years Ago 

"Damn it, I'm going to be late." I curse, shoving my orientation packet back into my bag. My flight last night was delayed, and of course the only ferry that runs out here is in the daytime.  I've got less than five minutes to find a lab I've never been to.

Great

Backing the rest of my Redbull, I toss it into the nearest trashcan as I worm my way through anatomical and infographic displays. It should be in this direction. That's what the orientation map said.

My stomach tenses. I can't make a fool of myself today. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, my chance to get the experience I've always wanted. If I can make a name for myself here at Jurassic World than I can do anything.

At the end of a tiled hallway is a door labeled 'GENETICS LAB.' Picking up the pace, I jog towards the door, unlocking it with my provided key card and I'm immediately treated by  pale linoleum flooring and sterile white walls.

My phone vibrates inside my vest pocket followed by the melodic tune of Fleetwood Mac.

Shit. I should've silenced it on the way here.

I wish it out of my pocket, hoping to silence it before anyone can-

"Hey watch out-"

A mass of grey and blue fills my vision before I can stop myself from colliding with whatever—or whoever—the mass belongs too. My nose sears in pain, which radiates down my jaw into my collarbones. A crack fills the air and my phone slips out of my hand.

"Shit."

"Are you alright?"

A dull pulsing begins to spread across my face as I stifle the sudden urge to scream. Today has been a shit day, and this is the icing on the cake. No. I am not alright. I am nowhere close to being alright and I swear I'm going to-

"Um."

This whatever— or uh, whoever— I collided with is a tall man in a grey-blue get up. His shoulders are broader than mine, his body built but not overtly sculpted. He's a bit scruffy with his short military hair-cut, patchy beard, and  down-turned eyes. They're a soft shade of hazel green, which pales in comparison to the rest of him.

I must look nervous because he rests a reassuring hand on my biceps, kneeling before me. "You good?"

I blink.

"Hello?" he asks, snapping his fingers front of my face. I jump.

"I'm fine." I swallow the rising bubble in my throat, betrayed by how tight my voice sounds. Being the center of attention has never really been my thing. To be in the center of an awkward situation definitely falls within that category.

"Are you now?"

"I am." I clarify, grabbing my phone off the ground. "Just in a hurry."

"That much is obvious." He jokes with a hint of a smile. The nerves in my stomach settle a bit, but that anxiety isn't quite gone.

"I've got a meeting with my lead trainer in about..." my phone screen is cracked, but it still displays the time. 9:58am. "Seven minutes. I also have a meeting with the head of genetics, so I can't be late."

"Yeah?"

"That's how meetings work. Thank you for your concern, but I should be on my way."

I have to go... now or I'm going to be extremely late. On my first day no less. I cannot let my first impression suck considering this is my first real opportunity to work on a project in my field. This first impression has to be perfect.

"You're Tess Williams?"

"Why do you ask?"

He gestures to the badge hanging around my neck. Instinctively I cringe, remembering how bad my photo ID is. I took it on orientation day. My hair was a mess from the humidity, and to top that off, a large cheesy smile that has become forever immortalized in ink on the plastic card around my neck.

"I'm Owen Grady. Head of the Raptor project." He reaches into his shirt to retrieve his badge, flashing it at me. His picture is just as cheesy as mine.

You've got to be kidding me.

Whatever composure I had is long gone now. Evaporated into the abyss that I wish would open up and swallow me whole. What are the chances I run into the lead of my project, knock myself flat on my ass, and make a complete fool of myself.

Great. Just great.

"Nice to meet you." He hums in amusement, taking a step back as he rises to his feet. A helping hand is extended my way, one I begrudgingly take as he helps me off the floor.

"You too." I force a smile, ignoring the rising heat in my cheeks. "Didn't mean to run into you... Literally... That's my bad."

He waves his hand in dismissal, grabbing my bag off the ground. I hadn't even realized it slipped off my arm.

"It's alright. Let me show you to the lab before the suits get a chance to complain."

"Thank you." I tuck the loose strands of dirty blonde hair that have come undone behind my ears, regaining some sense of professionalism.

Owen Grady laughs, beckoning me to follow him. I do as told.

"Don't mention it."

Present Day

"Tess?"

I jolt awake from the sudden arm on my arm, knocking my head against the window next to me.

"Ow." My hand instinctively rubs the sensitive spot. 

"You good?" 

"Just peachy," I mumble, earning a laugh from Owen. "No thanks to you."

"Well, we're here. Are you coming or what?"

×××

Hey guys, sorry that it is so short. I have re-written this so many times, and I might change it in the future (the and it is really late, so it is crap). I hope you enjoy, and please don't kill me. I'll update tomorrow or the day after.

And, I will mention the people who participated in the shootouts later! Thanks for 450+ reads! I love you all! ^o^

-onlyjeffery