four

I can't move... No, I don't want too. Not after what just happened. My chest is tight, no matter how hard I try to steady my breathing. My face and eyes burn, my vision blurred with my tears.

"Are you alright?" Owen's voice is quiet, almost non-existent. I shake my head, using the back of my palm to wipe the excess coolant off my face.
"Tess?"

"I'm fine." I lie, rolling to the side. The gravel beneath me shifts, digging into my knees, shins, and palms. If Owen hadn't cut that coolant line the Indominus would've found us. He saved us.

"No you're not."

"My eyes hurt, but I'll be okay." I counter, scooting out from under the truck. I can't make much of anything out. "We've got to get to the control room and evacuate the island. I know a guy there that can help." 

A blur of grey moves past me before I feel hands on my biceps, pulling me up from the ground. I yelp, falling forward. It takes me a moment to realize that it's Owen in front of me, looking me over.

"We need to get you to the infirmary." He counters. His hand grabs my chin and he shifts my face in a different direction. The burning in my eyes grows, causing them to ache.

"Not until we talk to Lowery."

"That can wait!"

I go stiff as a board. Owen has never spoken to me so... Firmly.

"You got coolant in your eyes. If we don't flush them now they'll be permanently damaged." The gravel shifts again as he stands up. He lifts me up, holding onto my arm with one hand. I try to protest, but he starts walking, forcing me to blindly follow him. 

A door opens in front of me and I'm guided to it. It's a vehicle of some sort, square and grey. My stomach revolts as I climb into it, churning as I fight the sudden wave of vertigo.

I'm not okay, I finally realize as the door closes beside me. I feel like shit, I nearly died and my eyes burn like hell.

The car shifts as Owen respectfully jumps in, fumbling with some keys that jingle against the dash. The vehicle struggles to turn over before it rumbles to life. He closes his own door and throws it into gear. We lurch forward, my hands flying to catch myself before I hit the dash.

Owen curses, pulling me back to my seat. The seatbelt whirrs next to me and clicks it in by my hip.

"I'm going to throw up."

"What?"

I pat the door next to me until I feel a door latch. I throw it open as my stomach contents lurch up my throat.
Owen stomps on the break. He waits until I can catch my breath and the vertigo wears off.

"You good?"

I shake my head side to side, close the door and lean back against the seat. My eyes hurt. My head hurts. My chest hurts. Just an hour ago everything was fine, and now it's not.

"Just drive." I plead, fighting the tears that continue to fall from my eyes. He doesn't respond, but one of his hands rests on mine as he starts driving again.

I take deep breaths until my thoughts begin to calm a bit, allowing me temporary peace.

Two Years Ago