(**READ**) Devil On My Shoulder

It could have been his crooked smile, which was inviting and fun but taunting and dangerous all at the same time. It confused me how he had perfected all four, and how flawlessly and easily he did it.

But it also could have been the way he said it. The way his voice sounded like a lullaby, comforting and soft, reassuring me everything was okay as I stared into his deep hazel eyes which entrapped me in an entirely separate hypnotic state.

I did it.

I let him put the necklace around me, adjusting it until it lay perfectly against my chest. It was a seemingly harmless act, but I wouldn't find out until later that it was anything but harmless. He was a total stranger, a guy I had just met that day and I had willingly let him put his favorite possession on me, a possession he said he couldn't live without, and yet he had given it away just like that.

I still remember it clearly. I remember waiting for my cousin Claire to finally get down to the park so we could hang out, I remember the kid who cried relentlessly on the slide which led me to move from my safe spot on the swings to the empty basketball court, and I still remember the guy who was underneath the tree, who had turned at the sound of my footsteps and decided that an introduction was needed.

Peter.

That was his name.

That was the name of the guy who I spent five hours at the park playing basketball with. The guy who gave me his necklace that had a black pendant hanging from it. The guy who after that day, changed my entire life.

I only wish I had known sooner that dangerous described more than just his smile.