I've Got You Brother

When I arrived home it was empty, which has been the norm lately. There was no one to yell at me or ask me where I've been, there was no one to say good morning to or have breakfast with. It was the little things that have been changing in my life that I actually missed the most. Days like these were when I wished we could press pause on life and I could just have my family all together again.

At least I could count on Peter being there.

Well, for most of the time.

"What are you doing?" I said as I walked into my room to find Peter riffling through my closet.

He jumped back in surprise, tripping over one of my shirts and falling on his ass, a slew of swear words quickly following.

"Hey, Dais.." he laughed awkwardly, "Didn't expect you to be home..so...soon."

I glared at him as he smiled up at me from the floor.

"What were you doing in my closet?"

He scuffed, "I just wanted to borrow.." he looked around for the nearest item and then held it up, "this!"

We both looked at the ruffled skirt he was holding up. He made a face as he turned it around in his hands, trying to figure out what it was.

"It's a skirt, dumbass."

He dropped it, "I knew that."

"You know what? I don't even care about what you were doing in there." I offered him a hand and helped him up onto his feet, "I need to talk to you about something that's actually important."

I sat on the edge of my bed and Peter followed. I hesitated for a moment, thinking about what to say, but then I just decided that it would be easier to show him. So I dug into my bag and pulled out the newspaper Claire gave me this morning. I opened to the page that had the obituary, and then I handed it over to Peter.

I watched him as he read it, noticing the subtle changes of expression as he finally got down to the bottom of the page, where his name was written in black ink.

"This can't be possible.." He glared at the writing in confusion.

"What's not possible? You already told me you had died-"

"No, not that." He then looked at me, "This says that Eli is still alive. It says that I've been 'survived by brothers Eli and Sam'. That can't be possible." He looked back at the newspaper and flipped through the pages.

"Peter I don't understand. Why can't that be possible?"

"Dais, Eli was with me the night I died. The only reason I'm here right now is because I've been looking for him. And this whole time...all these years...he's been alive." he stared at the paper, his eyes swelling with tears.

Suddenly, he grabbed my shirt and pulled me closer, "You have to help me! You have to help me find him! I have to see him! Please!"

I was at a loss for words "I-I-I don't know how..."

"Your dad! He's in charge of the investigation, right? Ask him if they found another body. Ask him if he knows what happened!"

"Okay!" I said, pushing him away, the panicked look in his eyes frightening me, "My dad comes home-"

"No!" he screamed, "We have to go now." he then grabbed me by my arm and pulled me out of my room and down the stairs, despite my shouts of protest.

"Peter!" I yelled, but he didn't seem to hear me. He grabbed the keys off the counter and rushed us out of the door. He then opened the driver's door and said, "Drive."

I hesitated, "Peter I-"

"Please, Daisy," he interrupted me, this time calmer and with saddened eyes, "this is the only time I've ever asked for your help."

We didn't speak another word as I grabbed the keys and drove us to my dad's office. When I gave him that newspaper I expected an entirely different conversation. I had no idea that it was going to cause this reaction from him...Had I known, I probably wouldn't have even showed him.

I climbed up the stairs of the building, Peter right by my side. When we finally reached my dad's office door, I hesitated again. But the look in Peter's eyes pushed me to knock and open the door.

Dad was sitting behind his desk, searching up something on his laptop.

"Dais, what are you doing here?" Dad said as his eyes finally met mine.

"I have to ask you something...about your case."

He shifted in his chair, "You know I can't discuss that-"

"Peter Hedman," I said, interrupting him, "his obituary was in the newspaper."

Dad watched me carefully, "So?"

"I knew his brother," I lied, "Eli Hedman."

"How-"

"That's not important!" I interrupted again, "I just want to know, is he alive?"

My dad stared at me in surprise before finally saying, "Come inside and close the door."

I did as he said and slowly approached his desk. Peter was right beside me, holding my hand, his grip tightening as we stared at my dad.

"Was he your friend?" my dad asked.

I nodded my head, "I met him through Claire. But we haven't heard from him for years." I lied again.

My dad ran a hand down his face before letting out a heavy sigh, "I want you to listen to me carefully, alright? Eli is still very much apart of this investigation, which means his whereabouts are not to be known by anyone. If I tell you, I have to be able to trust you to not tell anybody else, including Claire. Okay?"

"I promise I won't. I just need to know for my own reassurance. I want to know he's okay."

Dad shifted in his seat again, "Eli was in a coma for almost 5 years. He just woke up two months ago."

I heard Peter's faint gasp from beside me, and I squeezed his hand in support.

"He's okay for now, but he's not..." Dad struggled to find the right words, "he's not fully himself. No one can get a word out of him, not even his father.... I'm sorry, I know it's not the best situation-"

"No dad, thank you. That helps me a lot. So is Eli still in the hospital or did they bring him home?"

"He's still at the hospital, but they're only letting family see him so I wouldn't even try going there if that's what you were planning."

I gave him a faint smile, "I'm sorry for disturbing you at work, I just had to know what happened. Thanks for being so understanding."

He smiled back, "Anytime, kiddo."

After a quick goodbye with my father, Peter and I rushed out of the building and got in the car. Before he could even open his mouth this time, I said, "I know. We're going to see Eli." 

________________________

A/N 

only a few more chapters left until the ending. Sorry if these seem short and not detailed, but I've been very busy and I'm only going to get busier. But I figured I'd give you guys the basic storyline and that way you don't have to wonder what happens next, and then later on when I have free time I can actually come back and rewrite these chapters so they sound better. 

Hope you understand! 

Enjoy :)