Chapter Nine

Suzan was having a dilemma. She was kneeling in the middle of a soft flower bed, sunlight dappling around her from between the thinning clouds. She wasn't concentrating on her work however. Her mind was elsewhere. In her head she was retracing her steps through the house last night, of the ghosts that filtered between the sharp rays that emanated from her lantern. Of the argument they had had with the local legend she had been told about. Of what they asked her to do for them.

Her hands were working of their own accord, her gaze not registering the real world. She could understand their rage, but getting the cockatrice for them? She found it laughable more than anything, to believe that there is a mythical creature living in the woods. And even if it did exist, The Mist's words echoed in her head, 'Stay away from it'. If he was right, it was a dangerous creature. And he didn't seem like the kind of ghost to be on the wrong side of.

'I wonder if they can touch me?' The thought caught her off guard. If she refused them, could the ghosts attack her? Would they?

"I see you're thinking about it." A voice pulled her away from her thoughts. She looked up to see it was Victor Balling, the unlucky highwayman looming over her.

"Yes" she replied cautiously. She quickly looked around, to see if there was anyone else in the garden, watching. An elderly couple were strolling contentedly down a nearby path, linked arm in arm. They hadn't seemed to have heard her. To be on the safe side, Suzan took out her phone and held it up to her ear.

"What are you doing?" Victor looked mildly amused at her cautiousness.

"I don't want anyone thinking I'm talking to myself." She retorted quietly.

"Two old codgers are not going to mind. Besides, they're probably deaf anyway."

"I'd rather not take that risk."

Victor looked down at her, chuckling with a smile on his face. She felt annoyed at his amusement and decided to change the subject.

"Can I...contact you?" She might as well set her fears at rest, or prove they're true, by finding out.

Victor hadn't grasped her meaning and crossed his arms, confused.

"Like, er...physically." She said.

"Oh" he understood, "How should I know?"

"I don't know. Surely you've come across someone like me before?"

Suzan noticed an expression flicker across the ghost's face. She wasn't sure what it was. He didn't respond immediately. When he did, he held his hand out towards her.

"There is only one way to find out."

Suzan looked around hesitantly. The elderly couple were facing the other way.

"It's ok." He reassured her, "I won't hurt you."

If it were not for Ezra, Suzan wouldn't have even known this man was a ghost. He looked so real, so solid. Deciding, she struck out her hand towards his, fully ready to grasp his long, pale fingers.

A sudden bolt of cold seared through her hand, grasping at nothing but air. Her hand had passed straight through. She breathed a sigh of relief.

"Damn it, we can't hit you if you say no." The highwayman said sarcastically.

To her surprise, Suzan found herself laughing.

"Don't worry." He continued, "even if we could touch, we would respect your decision. No matter what you decide." He was referring to the cockatrice. If she didn't know better, Suzan would have thought even the ghost himself looked surprised at his words.

"I just...I don't know. I think The Mist had a point." She spluttered, "It's for my employers to decide, not you."

Victor's face remained expressionless. "The Snotem's would ruin this house." He said solemnly.

"You can't persuade me."

"Yes I can."

"What happened to respecting my decision?"

"You haven't made it yet."

"I think I have." Suzan said, looking him straight in the eyes. Despite his mask, he couldn't hide his eyes.

Before their staring could continue, Suzan heard Lucy calling her name. She pretended to end her phone call, giving Victor a meaningful look while doing so, and spotted her fellow gardener quickly walking towards her. Lucy appeared agitated, something wasn't right.

"Are you okay Lucy?" Suzan asked.

"Have you heard?" Lucy gasped, ignoring Suzan's question. "If Mr Snotem buys the house, we are all going to be replaced." She clasped her hands to her mouth and started to make sobbing noises.

"What?" Suzan couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"We will be sacked. Replaced. Cast off like rubbish. Apparently, he has plans for a whole new team of gardeners and house staff. Possibly even turning it into a hotel." Lucy was nearly shouting out of panic. "Oh my god" she sobbed, fanning her eyes with one of her hands, "I need to tell the others." She stalked off, leaving Suzan flabbergasted,

No one spoke, Suzan and Victor silently watching the retreating figure of Lucy in shock.

"Well" Victor murmured, "If that doesn't persuade you, I don't know what will."

Suzan looked back at the ghost. Her eyes steady and focused. Decided. "I have made my decision."