Chapter Eighteen

Everyone was huddled into the library. The house staff, garden staff, everyone. It was impossible to see even an inch of a book on one of the many shelves for all the bodies packed into the room like sardines. Sunlight streamed onto their faces through the large windows as they expectantly waited for the announcement.

"I reckon there'll be a storm tonight" Suzan could hear Crystal saying over the hubbub of conversations.

"No" someone replied, "It's clear sunshine outside. It won't rain."

"Where's Ezra?" Suzan asked, shoulder to shoulder with Basil.

"He'll be around here somewhere." He said. Suzan thought he still looked rough from his weekend.

"I'm here" Ezra said, suddenly appearing.

"Hopefully this meeting will help us decide what to do." She said, turning to him.

"You don't have to do anything." Ezra said, "I think those ghosts have been a bad influence on you."

"Ezra" she hissed, "Not here."

"I mean it. It would be a shame to lose the house, but that's life. Sometimes, you've got to move on."

Suzan glared at him while Basil looked about to open his mouth when someone at the front of the crowd spoke. The voice commanded the room, the speaker stepping onto a stool so that everyone could see them. It was Margaret Du Shadow, the current owner of the house.

"Good morning everyone" she started, "This meeting is to inform you that two weeks from now, Highhill House will be under the ownership of Jonathan Blackwood."

A few gasps escaped the crowd and whispered conversations eagerly broke out.

"Basil" Ezra whispered, "Isn't that your-"

"Shh" Suzan said, "I'm trying to listen."

Ezra looked to Basil for confirmation and his friend, surprise written over his face, nodded.

The meeting continued for a short while longer and ended in Margaret Du Shadow thanking them all for their hard work over the past years under the Du Shadows. From what Suzan could make out, they were not losing their jobs after all.

As everyone streamed out of the library, chatting excitedly to one another, Basil said "I think I need to give Uncle Johnny a call."

"Hell yeah." Ezra said, "I can't believe he wouldn't tell you something like that."

"We're not close."

"But still."

Suzan wasn't listening. "I think this calls for a celebratory dinner at the pub." Relief was dominating her body. Mr Snotem was no longer a problem, her job no longer in jeopardy. She was safe.

Basil and Ezra both agreed.

"I'll see you both later then." Basil said, getting his phone out and trotting off, leaving Ezra and Suzan standing outside the back doors.

"That was certainly unexpected." Ezra said, "And I think you were right. That meeting did decide. No more need for that cockatrice."

"yes" Suzan smiled, "I'm glad."

Ezra looked at her meaningfully, "You will get rid of it?"

"You can help me yourself. We can do it this evening." She agreed.

"Good." Ezra gave her one of his beaming grins. "I should probably get going." Looking around, everyone else was starting to go about their usual day. "The gates open soon."

"See you later then."

"Yeah, see ya." Ezra headed back indoors, ready to give another day of tours.

Suzan smiled to herself, finally feeling content. She turned around to go when she jumped, clasping her hand over her heart. "Oh, it's you. What are you doing?"

Victor had stood right behind her and was now watching Ezra leave with a curious look in his eye.

"hmm" he murmured, "he's the right height."

"What do you mean?" Suzan asked quietly, glancing around to make sure no one was looking. To be safe, she quickly snatched out her phone and pressed it to her ear.

"Has your friend acted suspiciously?" Victor asked, nodding in the direction of Ezra.

"I don't know, why?"

"Oh, it doesn't matter. Good news about Snotem though. I wasn't able to kill him, he had driven off by the time it was finally dark. But at least he hasn't got the house, eh?"

"Yes, it's great news." Suzan said, "Although, aren't you upset that it's still being sold?"

"Well" Victor glanced up at the house, "Yes. It could be worse. Apparently the Blackwoods are some distant, distant relatives to the Du Shadows. Or so Gabrielle says anyway."

"I'm sure she's right. Her family probably traced their history back to ancient times."

Victor grunted in reply. He appeared to wonder off into his own thoughts. Suzan stood, waiting for him to say something. She had just decided that he had finished the conversation and was about to put her phone away when he said, "How long has your friend, Ezra, worked here?"

Her eyebrows raised in surprise. Why the sudden interest in the tour guide?

"I don't know." She said, "I think, maybe, five years? I'm not sure."

Victor put his hand up to his chin, deep in thought. He started walking off.

"Why?" Suzan called after him. She got no response.