Chapter Thirteen

It was Friday night and Suzan was sinking into a soft armchair in the Highhill House library. In her mind, it was a lot less likable to the kitchen. The Library was a spacious room and the little bright light of her electric lantern didn't quite pierce all its dark and shadowy corners. And it was quiet. An owl's hoot echoed outside while she told her story to the figures around her, who were enticed by the hope that she brought good news.

"So I can confirm that it does exist but..."

"But what?" said Henry, "Surely that is good news. All that's left to do is capture it."

Suzan's head was drooped and the clasped and unclasped her hands in her lap. "I don't think we should." She said, in little more than a whisper.

"Speak up Suzan, we can't hear you." Gabrielle said gently.

"I don't think we should." She said again, desperately trying to channel some confidence into her words. Events had replayed in her mind all week. Excited to spread her news initially, when she didn't get the chance to speak to the ghosts immediately, she had started thinking about the consequences. She had run from the creature at the slightest turn of its head. What If she couldn't capture it? What if she did?

A murmur of voices started to break out around her.

Louder, she said "I can't predict what it's going to do. It might be too dangerous to catch, too dangerous to handle."

The ghosts fell into a debate. Suzan was surprised to find that some argued for her. But very few.

"We cannot let her risk her life if it's dangerous." Matt said.

"But dangerous is what we need." Henry retorted.

"Where is Misty?" Suzan's voice cut through the noise. She was looking nervously this way and that, looking for his silhouette amongst the gathered souls. Despite the cold conversation he had had with her, she felt she could rely on him for some verbal protection against this angered crowd she had caused.

Victor replied "I sent Stanley to cause some trouble at the pub so we could have this meeting undisturbed." He smirked, causing Suzan to shudder.

Henry turned to Suzan, "Are you certain that it is too dangerous? Perhaps you could examine it for a few days. Maybe you will change your mind."

"I'm sorry." She quickly rose to her feet. This felt too much for her. Their pale faces in the small, harsh light did nothing but add to her feeling of anxiety. She realised she was out of her depth. Out of her depth in a great big ocean with seaweed that would pull her under if she wasn't careful. She needed to swim to safety. She thought Basil was right, perhaps being in a dark house at night was dangerous. Especially one full of argumentative ghosts.

"I...I'll have to think about it." So saying, she grabbed her lantern and clutched it tightly as she hurriedly left the room. The door echoed its slam behind her.

Victor stood in thought for a while before exclaiming "Fear not!" very dramatically, gaining everyone's attention. "We may have lost Suzan but that doesn't mean we've lost the cockatrice. I have a plan. A better plan."

He received a mixed reaction. Some of the ghosts looked impressed, others eager and some, like Gabrielle, merely rolled their eyes.