Chapter Twenty One

The cockatrice plummeted to the ground, a tangle of blood and scales.

And Mr Snotem, making a strange gargling noise, toppled over backwards.

Both the slim man and the newcomer ran over. The newcomer looked shocked.

"You shot them both." He said, clasping his hands over his mouth.

The slim man had gone over to Mr Snotem. "Looks like you got him through the neck." He said, his voice trailing away at the end. He could see a dark pool forming around Mr Snotem, spreading and seeping into the wet ground. He fainted.

Victor stood where the slim man had fallen. He looked down at him. "Lightweight" he said.

The newcomer ran over to the slim man. "He's breathing." He called out, "I think he just fainted."

Victor walked over to The Mist who was still lying on the ground. "I quite enjoyed that, even if it was short lived." He said. "What about you?"

Exeter had silently watched the events unfold, and now plodded over to the body of the cockatrice. It was still twitching. She started stamping on it.

Victor leant down close to The Mist, "Oh" he said. "That looks nasty."

"I'll call the police." The newcomer said.

"Ezra" The Mist called out, "Could you do that after we've gone? Please."

Ezra looked up from the slim man, pale faced. "How do you know my name?" He saw The Mist was still on the ground. Leaving the slim man, he went over.

"Please." The Mist said pleadingly, "I need your help." He had dropped the pistol and was clutching at his stomach.

"Are you..." Ezra faltered, feeling silly for what he was about to say.

"Am I what?"

"The Mist of Moningsbury?"

The Mist nodded. "Yes. Please Ezra."

Ezra nodded and put his phone away.

"Get Suzan's box and put the cockatrice in it. We can't leave them here." The Mist said.

Ezra silently went to fetch the box. While he was gingerly picking up the dead creature, Victor knelt down beside The Mist.

"I'd help if I could." He said quietly.

The Mist looked up at him, his grey eyes soft and friendly. "Thank you for helping. I would never have guessed that you have a heart."

Victor gave an embarrassed smirk. "None of the others would have. They're all in the library discussing what they know about the Blackwoods." He patted The Mist awkwardly on the shoulder, got up and walked silently back into the house.

Ezra walked back over with box, picking up The Mist's sword as he approached. Struggling to tuck the box and sword under one arm, he held out a hand towards The Mist. The Mist took it and let out a cry of pain as Ezra hauled him to his feet.

"I'll take you to hospital." Ezra said.

"No" The Mist gasped, leaning heavily against him.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

Ezra half led, half dragged The Mist round to his car at the front of the house, Exeter following behind.

The rain clinked loudly on the car roof as Ezra drove along the gloomy roads.

"If not a hospital, then where to?"

"My house."

"You have a house?"

"Of course I have a house. You know where I live Ezra."

Ezra looked a bit overwhelmed. "I do? Suzan thinks you're a ghost."

"I know." The Mist's voice was quiet. He could see Exeter following them in the wing mirror.

"Who the hell are you?"

With a bloodied hand, The Mist pulled down his green kerchief. Ezra looked over.

"Basil?" he said. "BASIL?!"

"Look where you're going." Basil said, alarmed.

Ezra looked back to the road and swerved the car back off the verge. He swallowed and breathed out a forcibly controlled and steady breath. "Basil" he said again. "What on earth?"

"I'll explain everything" his friend said, "Later."

***********************************************

A short time after, Ezra was helping Basil onto his bed.

"Go into my bathroom" Basil directed, "there should be a bag in the lefthand cupboard."

"I still think you need a hospital." Ezra said as he walked into the bathroom.

"I know what to do." Basil replied, whimpering as he struggled to take his shirt off. Tears rolled down his muddy face. Ezra returned with the bag and placed it on the bed. Taking hold of Basil's shirt, he helped him pull it off.

"Are you absolutely sure?" Ezra said, turning pale at the sight of the bloody knife wound. His eyes wandered up to Basil's left arm.

"I've done this before." Basil said, seeing Ezra look at the bandage. "Admittedly not as bad as this, but I'm sure it will be fine." He gave Ezra what he thought was a smile. It was actually more of a grimace.

"okay." Ezra said, still pale faced, and opened up the bag. Inside he found all sorts, from local anesthetic and surgery needles to bandages and plasters.

And so they set to work, Basil trying his best not to cry out and Ezra doing his best not to look.

By the time they had finished, Basil, white streaks cutting through the mud on his face where an endless stream of tears had poured (They had ran out of anesthetic part way through), was fast asleep on his bed. A neat row of stitches along the side of his stomach. Ezra was snoring heavily in a chair next to the bed.

Ezra was the first to wake up. "I forgot to call the police." He said through his early morning grogginess.

"wha?" Basil moaned, stirring.

Ezra sat up and looked about him. He took out his phone. "It seems someone else has." He said. "The group chat has gone wild."

"Must have been Suzan." Basil murmured.

"Yeah" said Ezra, "I need to call David, let him know I'll be late in."

Basil rolled his head to the side to see his bedside clock. "You've still got time."

"I'm not going to leave you straight away." Ezra said, looking hurt. "I'll tell Crystal that you're sick, and that I've been looking after you. She and David will understand. And it's not far wrong either." So saying, he walked off to make the calls.

When he returned, he came with two cooked breakfasts.

"All sorted" he said, placing the tray on Basil's lap and taking off a plate for himself. "Crystal's a darling, she really is. And you've now got till 9 o'clock to tell me everything."

Basil smiled, "Alright then." And he did. He told Ezra everything.

"How could you not tell me this before?" Ezra said when he had finished.

"No one is supposed to know. It's better that way."

Ezra raised an eyebrow.

"It's usually better that way." Basil corrected.

"I think Suzan deserves to know."

"I don't want Suzan to know."

"Why not?"

"I just don't."

Ezra huffed. Then looked hungrily at Basil's unfinished bacon. "Are you going to eat that?"

"Go on." Basil pushed his plate towards him.

"Your secret is safe with me." Ezra said, balancing the bacon on his fork, "Even from Suzan. Although I bet she'll find out eventually."

"Thank you Ezra." Basil said, "for everything."

Ezra chewed on the bacon. "What are friends for?" he grinned.